Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

msnerd

Technical User
Jul 31, 2004
US
I'm having a frustrating problem getting Windows XP Remote Desktop to work between a notebook pc and a desktop. When I try to make a connection using the notebook as client to access the desktop host, I get the error message: "The client could not connect to the remote computer". However, there is no problem doing the reverse, i.e. using the desktop as client to access the notebook as host.

SETUP:

desktop: Gigabyte motherboard with onboard Intel Pro/1000 CT nic
Intel P4, 3.2 GHz
Windows XP Pro

notebook: Dell Inspiron 7000
Intel P2, 400MHz (a bit slow running XP, but stable and, except for this, everything works)
Windows XP Pro
3COM 10Mbps pcmcia nic

pcs are networked nic to nic with a crossover cable

PERTINENT FACTS:

- both nics have a fixed IP (notebook: 192.168.0.11, desktop: 192.168.0.1)

- both can ping each other

- no problem accessing notebook or transfering files with Remote Desktop using desktop as client to notebook host

- notebook has no firewall, Windows' Internet Connection Firewall is off

- desktop has Sygate firewall, but I tried both shutting it off completely or setting it to allow all ports, protocols, hosts and applications from the Intel Pro/1000 CT nic,
Internet Connection Firewall is off

- I was using Internet Connection Sharing on the desktop with an internal DSL modem, but ICS is shut off (the DSL connection is no longer set to share)

- ran netstat -an on both machines and both are listening on port 3389

- Terminal Services is started on both machines

Any help or suggstions would be GREATLY appreciated :).

Thanks,

Mort

I had the same problem and discovered the fix. All the above unchecking does nothing and once I got it to work, I was able to check them again and it continued to allow me access without problem.

What I found out was svchost was being blocked in the programs list. I unblocked it and the next time I tried to make a connectiuon, the popup window came up asking me if I wanted to allow the remote connection. I allowed it and poof! Everything now works.

I need help! I've tried just about everything that's been suggested in this forum so far, but I still can't get my remote desktop to work consistently. I've been able to sign on twice in the past few weeks, but nothing about my cpu or the network changes in between times.

I've tried adjusting my services, I've unchecked "use default gateway on remote network" under the TCP/IP settings. This last step actually got it working for the first time, but ever since it's been extremely sporadic.

One thing I haven't touched is the port forwarding steps. I'm not comfortable making any changes to that since I'm only a novice at this stuff. So any help you could provide in laymans terms would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some details you might need to know:

I'm able to VPN to my work computer with no problem. I've got a Netgear WG224 Router, all Firewalls have been disable and Norton AV has been shut off. I've even downloaded Ultr@VNC Viewer and that didn't work either.

So I'm at a loss and greatly need some technical help!

Nathan

What does this have to do with Remote Desktop? To be honest I think it's something to do with my router. When I take my laptop to work, I'm able to VPN and Remote Desktop with no problem using a Linksys router. When I come home and trying to Remote Desktop via my Netgear, I have problems...

You stated it was sporadic. If there is a black hole router which is dropping packets between your home and the office, this could be a reason for the intermittent connections. For a quick check use the pathping command to your routers address at the office. You should have none/small packet loss if everything is OK. Does your home router handle fragmented packets

I'm sorry technome, you lost me with the whole "black hole router" comment. How do I do a pathping command and how do I tell if my router handles fragmented packets. Sorry for the trouble - but I greatly appreciate your help!

After trying almost all of the above without success, I've finally gotten it working with Norton Antivirus 2005 and worm protection enabled (XP, service pack 2). On the Internet Worm Protection screen in NAV, under "configure exclusions" I unchecked W32 SQLEXP Work Propagation and that did it. I have no idea what that is or why this should enable Remote Desktop. But it's working.

I put the other settings back to where I found them: the General Rules and Trojan Rules are all checked; SSDP Discovery Service, Universal Plug and Play Device Host and Application Layer Gateway Service are all set to manual; svchost unblocked

I have finally ditched Remote Desktop for good. It's been much easier just to run the free open-source UltraVNC. It's now got almost all the features of remote desktop, plus a much better file transfer mechanism. Remote Desktop was always a nightmare to copy files from one machine to another because the remote drive mapping took FOREVER to browse directories. UltraVNC does not have this problem. I also use gotomypc.com for access to my work machine and I love it. It costs money every month, but it's worth every penny for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back