Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Remote Desktop Web Connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0AOZ

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
Machine is running XP Pro SP2. Initially configured Windows Remote Desktop, and can connect to this machine and it works fine, but unfortunately one particular application appears to require Remote Desktop Web Connection in order to run/view remotely.

Remote Desktop Web Connection (under IIS) has been installed, updated with latest security patches, PC rebooted, and Net Start W3SVc run. Under the ISS snap-in the Default Web Site properties have been adjusted to reflect desired TCP port number.

Netgear router has this same TCP port enabled, and I have allowed the same port in the Windows Firewall.

Remote machine using IE7, Nbr/tsweb/ gets Page cannot be Displayed. Tried with Windows Firewall disabled, but still the same. Retried with Remote Desktop just to check it still works - it does.

Can anyone suggest guidelines or pointers for troubleshooting this connection please?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

What web browser are you using to to connect to tsweb? tsweb requires Active X to be enabled. I know there is problems when using IE7 to connect. IE6 works fine.

Tried it on different machines one with IE6 and the other with IE7 - also tried adding it as a Trusted Zone.

As I recall, when I was doing some tests with another site, I got so far into the initial connection and it then informed me it needed Active-X enabled. I've never got this far with connection to this particular site - it comes up immediately with "The page cannot be found", and doesn't ask about Active-X.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Do any of your Anti Virus programs have hidden firewalling components?

Does "Safe Mode with Networking" load enough Services for you to check in that mode?

What is this "one particular application" that is causing the problem?

Both PCs are using Grisoft's free version which doesn't incorporate a firewall. Tests on another site had AVG and that worked ok.

Haven't tried "Safe Mode with Networking" - that's worth a shot next time I'm there.

The one particular application which is "causing the problem" is called SuperDVR. This application comes with a 4-port PCI card which takes video from upto 4 cameras in the shop. The software allows the video to be recorded onto the hard disk, and at the same time allows the monitor screen on the PC in the shop to view camera action in real time. And by remotely logging in one should be able to view the shop premises, e.g. at night, weekends, etc. This is currently being run under Windows XP Pro SP2 with all latest patches, so I'd have expected the authors of the software to have ironed out any bugs by now.

The existing Netgear router allows a basic Remote Desktop Connection but not a Web Connection, so I'm inclined to think that's maybe where part of the problem lies. I've got a router here that works with Remote Web, so my next plan is to swap 'em over and bring back the Netgear for some detailed research...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Brought Netgear router back to the workshop. Set up a spare XP Pro machine to mimic that in the shop, i.e. same name, same IP Address, and Remote Desktop WEB Connection works fine. So it's down to trying to troubleshoot the shop PC.

The basic Remote Desktop works ok on it, but not Remote Web access.

Any (IIS) tests I can run on it?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Eventually got the WEB connection sorted... At some time in the past I suspect the shop owner had attempted to set up ICS, and I think this was causing the hiccup. Uninstalled the remnants and it started to work. Next will be to get some sense out of the camera software supplier, as there are errors with that to fix!

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back