Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with relay personality return address

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefair

Technical User
Sep 21, 2008
GB
I tried to ask this on the Eudora forum at qualcomm.com, but it is no longer being moderated. When you sign up to be a user you need an admin to activate you, but if it's no longer being moderated I would imagine there are no more admins! So I can't post there - if anyone knows someone who can activate my account let me know.

Anyway, I'm using Eudora version 7.1.0.9. I pull email from several accounts, including gmail, sympatico and 3 personal domains. Everything worked fine on my desktop computer, which accesses the net via Sympatico dial up (I'm in Canada in an area where high speed of any kind is not available) and also uses the sympatico smtp server in each of the personalities. I can send and receive, and the return email of outgoing messages matches the personality that sent the message.

I want to switch to a laptop, which I will used primarily on high speed at work. Unfortunately there is no tech department at work or I would ask them for help (real estate office, large but it's every man for himself for this kind of thing). The laptop runs Windows XP Home Edition version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp.080413-2111:service pack 3).

Using the laptop, the sympatico smtp server in each personality and sympatico dial up to access the internet I have no troubles either - send and receive fine, and return email of outgoing messages matches the personality. However when I use high speed and the sympatico smtp server in each personality, Eudora can't connect to the server to send. I assume there must be a firewall or something that is blocking my access to the sympatico smtp server.

So I set it up to run with a relay personality, choosing gmail as my sender. I can send just fine, but the return address that the recipient sees is always my gmail address, doesn't matter which personality I chose to send the message in the first place. From replies to other questions on the Qualcomm forum I think that it shouldn't be that way. I think I should have a reply address that matches the personality that sent the message, just like when I use the sympatico smtp server and dial up.

So, my question is:

1) Any ideas on how to get around the firewall (or whatever is blocking things) when using the sympatico smtp server in each personality so it can connect. OR

2) Can I do anything when using the relay personality (gmail) so that the return address on emails that I send matches the sending personality.

Thanks in advance for your help! This is frustrating me to no end!

Jennifer

My qualcomm forum ID got activated, and my problem has been solved.

I needed to go into gmail's settings and add the email accounts that I wanted to be able to send emails from. Simple!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back