Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with RAS 9 and ActiveX viewer (CR9 developer Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeromeM

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2003
SE
Hi,

I ve got a big problem with the report appication server 9 and crystal report 9 devloper edition.
When I use the e-porfolio to display my report using my web browser it works only if i use HTML viewers.
With the ActiveX viewer or Java viewer the reports that need parameters are not displayed.
Could someone please help me ?????

Thanks a lot for your help,

Regards,

Jerome

JeromeM,

I've exact the same problem. Did you find a solution for it ?

Greetings,

Rene

Yes I too have the same problem. If the same report is viewed via HTML Interactive viewer the parameters are presented.

I have downloaded the latest hotfixes for ActiveX viewers and RAS but the problem still exist.

Has anyone found a solution?

Rene,

I don't have an answer but, looking at the date of your posting, I'm eager to find out your secret for staying young... :eek:)

Cheers,
- Ido

CUT, Visual CUT, and DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

oops, didn't realize the 1st message was February 2003.
I thought you somehow manages to go back from February 2004 to January 2004... :eek:)

OK, since I goofed, here's a probable solution for your problem:

Open the report in Crystal Designer and you'll probably notice under the File menu that the "Save Data with Report" option is checked. Uncheck that option and save the report. This should fix it.

Cheers,
- Ido

Well Ido that isn't the problem as all the reports I have do not have "Save Data with Report" checked on.

Besides why does it work for HTML Interactive viewer and not for ActiveX?

Peter

Hi all,
Thanks for all your answers.
I still have the problem.
Here an "unofficial" answer I've had from a training company certificated by Crystal Decisions (now Business Object).
The ASP files included into the developper release are not designed to run reports that need parameters.
This release can do it, but you have to developp the ASP files by yourself using the terrible documentation.
If someone knows how to do it, please met me know ....

Jerome

This is what Crystal Reports 9 release notes says about the matter (
2.3. Report Application Server Viewer Help
• The Report_Viewers.chm indicates that the ActiveX Viewer is able to prompt users for logon and
parameter information. It also provides examples of URL commands (for example, init=actx) and
URL-based reporting (for example, webSource0.URL = "/scrreports/1N2Y.rpt"). The ActiveX
Viewer does not support these features. (ADAPT 94877, 94882)

Hi plapic,

Thanks a lot for your answer.
Doesn it mean that is not possible to use the ActiveX viewer with the CR9 Developer Edition in any case ?

I only came across this statement after you mentioned, Jerome, that you were unofficially told it can be done. So I guess Crystal is saying the version 9 ActiveX does not prompt for parameters which to me is a bug when compared to version 8.

I ve had another information about this issue.
Someone tol ma that in fact, we just have to create a virutal folder in IIS called vierwer9 tha points to "Program files\sahred files\Crystal Decisions,\2.0\CrystalReportViewers"
And this because some references are done into the ASP files and this folcer is not created at the installation.
I havent had time to test it for the moment ...
P.S Even with this change, the eporfolio doesn t work. We have to call the reports in our own ASP pages.

Wait and see .....

There is a knowledge base article that mentions a virtual folder not setup during install however the name is crystalreportviewers not viewer9.
My install did create this folder and did point to
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.0\crystalreportviewers.

However we are not having the same symptons i.e. the activex viewer appears grey/red X display.

Our activex viewers to appear but out parameters are not prompted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back