Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with "

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxeaXeaxE

Programmer
Apr 22, 2002
NL
the rowsource of a graphiclooks like this:

SELECT (Format([Schadedatum],"MMM 'YY")),Sum([AantalVanSchadenummer]) AS [SomVanAantalVanSchadenummer] FROM [QryOverzichtJaar] GROUP BY (Year([Schadedatum])*12 + Month([Schadedatum])-1),(Format([Schadedatum],"MMM 'YY"))

(this rowsource is from the wizard)
I want to use this in VBA, but at the first " VBA expects an instruction-end. How can I avoid this?

try this i.e. replace double quote with single within the string

Dim sql As String

sql = "SELECT (Format([Schadedatum],'MMM' 'YY')),Sum([AantalVanSchadenummer]) AS [SomVanAantalVanSchadenummer] FROM [QryOverzichtJaar] GROUP BY (Year([Schadedatum])*12 + Month([Schadedatum])-1),(Format([Schadedatum],'MMM' 'YY'))"

Andy

yeah that was my first idea as well, but that doesn't work...

I looked in the help file and think you need to break the string up and use the Chr$(34).

e.g my example
sql = "SELECT (Format([date]," & Chr$(34) & "MMM YY" & Chr$(34) & ")) from tbldocuments"

Please be aware that as the statement is not an action query you will not be able to run the sql directly using docmd.runsql

Hope this is helpful

Andy

Dim sql as string

sql = "SELECT (Format([Schadedatum],'MMM YY')), "
sql = sql + "Sum ([AantalVanSchadenummer]) AS "
sql = sql + "[SomVanAantalVanSchadenummer] FROM "
sql = sq1 + "[QryOverzichtJaar] GROUP BY "
sql = sql + "(Year([Schadedatum])*12 + "
sql = sql + "Month([Schadedatum])-1),(Format([Schadedatum],"
sql = sql + "'MMM YY'))"

'check out the string if it looks good you should be okay.
Debug.print sql

If you want to have the string on multiple lines in VB, add a underscore _ at the end of each line, easier than previous method, both work, but less coding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back