Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem With Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

wroot

MIS
Jan 9, 2002
US
Hello Everyone,
I have strugled for days trying to figure out how i can get this query to run right. I have tried everything i can think of to get it to work.

Th query will run but for one characteristic i.e. bedroom, bathroom, but try and run a query that has both of these characteristics in it i get 0 for both. I know where the problem is, these characteristics are defined by the elemline and when the code generates the sql statement the elemline cannot be a 3 and a 4 at the same time so i get 0. My question is: is there a way around this i have not thought of, other than running seperate queries. These queries are lump together in the interest in speed.

Here is the Query

SELECT DISTINCTROW linkLegalLand.Key,

IIF([linkBuilding].[Model] IN(10), iif(([linkBuildingChars].[CharType]=2) and
([linkBuildingChars].[ElemLine]=3),val([linkBuildingChars].[Data]),0),

IIF([linkBuilding].[Model] IN(1, 90, 99), iif(([linkBuildingChars].[CharType]=2) and
([linkBuildingChars].[ElemLine]=4),val([linkBuildingChars].[Data]),0),0)) AS BATHROOMSData,

IIF([linkBuilding].[Model] IN(10), iif(([linkBuildingChars].[CharType]=2) and
([linkBuildingChars].[ElemLine]=2),val([linkBuildingChars].[Data]),0),

IIF([linkBuilding].[Model] IN(1, 90, 99), iif(([linkBuildingChars].[CharType]=2) and
([linkBuildingChars].[ElemLine]=3),val([linkBuildingChars].[Data]),0),0)) AS BEDROOMSData,

linkLegalLand.MAPAD, linkBuilding.Model, linkBuildingChars.CharType

FROM linkBuildingChars RIGHT JOIN (linkBuilding RIGHT JOIN (linkLegalLand) ON
[linkBuilding].[Key] = [linkLegalLand].[Key] AND [linkBuilding].[Year] = [linkLegalLand].[Year]) ON
[linkBuildingChars].[Key] = [linkBuilding].[Key] AND [linkBuildingChars].[Year] = [linkBuilding].[Year]
AND [linkBuildingChars].[BldgNumber] = [linkBuilding].[BldgNumber] and

(IIF([linkBuilding].[Model] IN(10),
iif(([linkBuildingChars].[CharType]=2) and ([linkBuildingChars].[ElemLine]=3),-1,0),
IIF([linkBuilding].[Model] IN(1, 90, 99), iif(([linkBuildingChars].[CharType]=2) and ([linkBuildingChars].[ElemLine]=4),-1,0),0))=-1+0*[linkBuilding].[Model])

and

(IIF([linkBuilding].[Model] IN(10),
iif(([linkBuildingChars].[CharType]=2) and ([linkBuildingChars].[ElemLine]=2),-1,0),
IIF([linkBuilding].[Model] IN(1, 90, 99), iif(([linkBuildingChars].[CharType]=2) and ([linkBuildingChars].[ElemLine]=3),-1,0),0))=-1+0*[linkBuilding].[Model] )

WHERE [linkLegalLand].[Year] = 2003 ORDER BY [linkLegalLand].[MAPAD]

Thanks in advance
Dave

Hi Dave,

Your query is quite complex and not so easy to follow, however I have a few suggestions. One is to move all conditions from the FROM clause that are not related to table joining (links) to the WHERE clause. And the other: if you say it works for elimline=3 and also for elimline=4 but not for both, you can try making a UNION query of two SELECT's (one for elimline=3 and the other for elimline=4). This way you can eliminate a few IIF's, the query should work and maybe the performance will not be that bad.

Danny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back