Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with qmail-scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSRRGS

ISP
Feb 27, 2003
HK
Hi,
I am using qmail-1.03 with ./Maildir type mail box format. I then tried to add qmail-scanner feature in running qmail. After installing qmail-scanner, I have succesfully tested the installtion with provided test_installation.sh script. Then i modified the /etc/tcp.smtp file to have QMAILQUEUE point to this new qmail-scanner-queue.pl perl script in /var/qmail/bin directory. The updated /etc/tcp.smtp file is:
127.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
<Allowed IP>:allow,RELAYCLIENT=&quot;&quot;,QMAILQUEUE=&quot;/var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl&quot;

After this I rebuild the /etc/tcp.smtp file with qmailctl cdb commmand. After this when I tried to send mail using this server as SMTP server, I got following error:

&quot;An error occured while sending mail. The mail server responded:qq temporary problem(#4.3.0). Please check the message and try again.&quot;

Please help me as i need to protect my network from viruses and spam mails.

Thanks in Advance

check that qmailq.qmail chowns the scanner.pl file

This is the second line of my /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run file

QMAILQUEUE=&quot;/var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl&quot; export QMAILQUEUE

I make no reference to QMAILQUEUE in /etc/tcp.smtp

HTH.

Thanks for reply
The permissions of scanner.pl file are correct. I then tried with modifying qmail-smtpd/run file as suggested by you but again the same problem. My qmail-smtpd/run file is :

#!/bin/sh
QMAILQUEUE=&quot;/var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl&quot; export QMAILQUEUE
QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
MAXSMTPD=`cat /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming`
if [ -z &quot;$QMAILDUID&quot; -o -z &quot;$NOFILESGID&quot; -o -z &quot;$MAXSMTPD&quot; ]; then
echo QMAILDUID, NOFILESGID, or MAXSMTPD is unset in
echo /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run
exit 1
fi

In /etc/tcp.smtp file I had removed reference to QMAILQUEUE

Please see what else can I do.

Thanks

there is an existing qmail-queue patch for qmail 1.03. You have to look for it on qmail.org.
Unpatched versions doesn't work with this QMAILQUEUE Env. .
I don't know if the plain version ignores this Env. or if there is some misinterpretation.

Anyway. Instead of using this &quot;export QMAILQUEUE&quot;, you are free to modify it file-based:
#rcqmail stop
#mv /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue.orig

setup a bash-script,name it /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue and chown/chmod it to the same values as the original file was:
---snip---
#!/bin/bash
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue.pl |/var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue.orig
---snip---

i didn't try this, but it should work.

I have applied qmailqueue patch also. Then I tried by creating another bash script as mentioned by you but the same error I get while sending mail. I think I should mention one more thing that will be useful you to help me. Few days back I was trying to install Panda Antivirus Qmail addition on this server and after installing, I was gettting the same error while sending the mail. I then uninstalled it. And without it qmail and vpopmail are working perfectly. So it might be something related to qmail as in both the cases I am getting the same error as mentioned earlier.

Hope the same quick reply from u guys.

Thanks

Sorry, i've got only one possible solution left:

Try to check, if your qmailq &quot;user&quot; is generally allowed to execute your perl-interpreter.

btw. i won't do all spam/virus filtering between qmail-smtpd and qmail-queue. A year ago i tried this with only a spamassassin (&quot;/usr/local/bin/spamc | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue&quot;) . This resulted in very high load with delivery delayed a few hours and dropped mails. If you don't own a very fast multiprocessor machine with a huge amount of ram, i would not recommend this...
Currently, the mail is checked by 4 different filters.
1. rblsmtpd (i know, not everebodies flavor...)
2. rejecting sender from a few east-asia.
3. per-user-based: virus-checking (f-prot & odeiavir)
4. per-user-based: spam-checking (spamassassin)
For me, this is now a very satisfying combination.
Days ago i wrote a small &quot;howto&quot; just a few threads below in this board.

Sorry for my english :)

Hi,

I have checked the permissions of /usr/bin/perl and they are:
-rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 708188 Aug 10 2001 /usr/bin/perl

That means everybody has the execute permission on it. I am also using rblsmtpd with bl.spamcop.net blocking list. What elso can I do to stop Junk/Virus mail from our site?

rgds

I have solved the problem. That qq error was actually due to memory limit in softlimit part in qmail-smtpd/run file. I have increased softlimit from 2MB to 6MB and it worked then.

Thanks to all for answering my queries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back