Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with properties on files and folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boyds

MIS
Aug 17, 2001
US
Running Win 2000 Adv server w/serv pk 2. Everything seems to work except when I right click on a file or folder and go to properties, nothing happens.

Thanks.

Was this a fresh install ? I am guessing it was an upgrade from a previous OS. If it was an upgrade, anythings possible. I didnt find anything specific from the MSKB. You can always try running the repair option. You might want to run an AV scan to weed out any possibilities. If all else fails, backup the important stuff and reinstall.

This install has been on the server for about 10 months. I didn't find anything in MSKB either. AV scan is negative. And I am logged in as Administrator. I don't see anything strange in the security. I may need to try a repair or reinstall.

Thanks.

You can "reset" a Windows 2000 installation but inserting the Windows 2000 CD-rom and by choosing UPGRADE (again). This will preserve all settings and refresh the installation of the OS. I've used this in the past to resolve some issues..

You might also want to check your video adapter...maybe its just not displaying correctly. Turn down the resolution...

also, re-apply the service pack.

are there any event viewer errors? Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Can you create another account, give it admin privelages and log onto the new account? Then try and open something. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional

"Things are not always as they seem;
the first appearance deceives many."
Phaedrus (15BC - 50AD) Roman poet, short-story writer

I won't be able to get back to this problem for a couple of days. When I do, I'll let you know how it works out.
Thanks.

Haven't had a chance to run repair. It turns out that one of our offsite software guys tried to load IIS and the install hung. There are various IIS error messages. I'm going to try and remove IIS and see where that gets us.
(NEVER let programmers touch the server!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back