Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with PowerPoint Video 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsquared18

Technical User
Jun 10, 2001
US
I embedded an .mpg video clip in a PowerPoint slide using INSERT --> MOVIES AND SOUNDS --> MOVIE from FILE. The video clip and the PowerPoint file are in the same folder. Yet, when I click on the still picture on the slide, the screen goes blank instead of playing the video. When I play the video using Media Player, it works fine. Any suggestions?

I'm using PowerPoint 2000 and Windows XP

Thanks!

Bill

Thought the prefered format for PP vid files was WMV.

I've certainly used this format in PP with no problems

I have seen .mpg listed as one of the accepted formats.

BB

Hi bsquared18,

You are right, MPEG is an acceptable format for PowerPoint, and actually often works the best of all. I've heard similar stories before, though; it seems that PowerPoint can be finicky when playing movies back.

My solution to this type of problem is to convert to another movie format. In this case, I'd recommend AVI. There are many tools you can use for conversion; I've used the excellent VirtualDub tool, and you can look on for many, many more. Then reinsert the AVI clip into your presentation.

AVIs tend to be larger than MPEGs... but if it works for you, that might be a small price to pay.

Good luck!
--Michael

Thanks for the tip, tsurikov. As it happens, I have Adobe Premiere and was able to convert the file to .avi using that application. But, as you mentioned, the .avi file is larger--MUCH larger.

Strangely, the .avi file didn't work in PowerPoint either. But what DID work was to first embed a Windows Media player on the slide and then insert the .mpg file into that player.

Bill

bsquared,

powerpoint likes to be able to find the video clip on a disk. if the total path/folder length is over 128 characters it has trouble.

See

To quicky convert most media/video files to play in powerpoint see

this software converts the movie clip to .wmv which ppt happily plays

cheers

TAJ Simmons
microsoft powerpoint mvp

awesome - powerpoint backgrounds

Dear All,

I have worked alot with video on powerpoint.
I think the problem here is that PowerPoint does accept MPEG1 format videos and not MPEG2.

I guess the file you are trying is MPEG2, convert it to MPEG1 and I hope everything will be great.

You can convert MPEG2 to MPEG1 using the Ulead Media Studio program.

Hope that I helped.

Actually, it was MPEG1, not MPEG2. Anyhow, I'm satisfied with the solution of embedding media player and using files converted to WMV.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back