Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with OWA 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

neutec

Technical User
Apr 26, 2003
Hello All,
I have just ran the service pack 3 for exchange. After running the update I noticed I can no longer access my mail using OWA. The OWA page will load and show "loading" in the mail preview window. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Try stopping, restarting IIS. Check event logs. Are you trying to access OWA remotely or locally?

AM

Yea I have tried to stop and restart IIS. Logs are clean to. Im thinking of reinstalling Exchange and then retoring the database from my backup tape. If I was going to remove Exchange, Do I need to remove all users from Exchange before removing it?

SYMPTOMS
If you use Microsoft Outlook Web Access (OWA), your Inbox may be blank. In most cases, only the word "Loading" is displayed in the right pane. One of the following error messages may also be displayed on the page icon at the bottom of the Internet Explorer window:

Error: The download of the specified resource has failed.
Code: 0
-or-

Line: 1713
Char: 3
Error: Unknown name
Code: 0
URL: CAUSE
This issue can occur if no language is specified in the Internet Explorer language preferences.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, specify at least one language in Internet Explorer:
In Internet Explorer, click Internet Options on the Tools menu.
On the General tab, click Languages.
Click Add, and then click the appropriate language.

You deserve a Star, compgirlfhredi, saving the guy from re-installing Exchange. Any suggestions on how to move mailboxes from one Exchange Server to another?

Ignore my post, compgirlfhredi. I saw your reply to my topic. Thank you.

I have checked that and I already had a langauge installed. It appears to be a problem after I have installed SUS on my server. The SUS install ran the security lock-down for IIS and I think maybe that cause it. How can I troubleshoot this?

if installing lockdown with the "asp enabled" template, the SMTP service is disabled by default

mvh Nicolai

<b>Niksen</b>
Where would I check to see if thats the problem?

LOCK-DOWN (memo to self)
There are four IMS settings you may want to employ to improve security on servers connected via the Internet. (These settings do interfere with the ability to send general Internet mail, so use them judiciously.)
1.Click Specify By Host and then click Add. Enter the remote server's subnet mask and IP address. Also specify that the host must use authentication and encryption.
2. Specify the host name or IP address of the remote server under Message Delivery.
3. Select the Address Space tab. Delete the default settings, enter a new address space of type SMTP, and use the domain name of the remote server as the address. (This blocks routing of general Internet mail.)
4. Select the Security tab. Click Add and then enter the remote site's address. Select the Windows NT Challenge/Response option, then set the Exchange Site Service account as the validator.

check these areas and get back to us.

OWA, OFFICE 2000, AND EXCHANGE SERVICE PACK 3 ARE A BAD MIX Does applying a service pack make you nervous? If not, it should. As a savvy Exchange administrator, you should understand that every time you apply a service pack you are potentially trading old problems for new ones. Applying Service Pack 3 to your Outlook Web Access server will cause problems for clients that have Microsoft Office 2000 installed. These clients will be unable to use Outlook Web Access to open Office documents attached to e-mail messages. This problem is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q244744, and there is currently no hotfix available.

compgirlfhredi
That Fixed it. All I had to do was run the iis lock down tool. I apprecaite your help again. Hey do you know much about setting up a SUS server. I have my setup and installed the GPO but it appears my clients are not updating from the server. Im not sure how to check to see if the client is downloading from the right server and not microsoft update.

Thanks for your help

Glad that worked! (sometimes the most obvious is overlooked)
As for an SUS, this may help(or not):
This is a guide to the quick and easy installation of Microsoft Software Update Services. Forgive me if its ‘scratchy’…
Step 1: What you need
You will need the software and the deployment guide.
for the SUS 1.0 SP1 download page. The file is approximately 33Mb. ·
for SUS 1.0 SP1 Deployment White Paper.
Step 2: Preparating your web site
In the basic installation, the SUS Server will install in the default port 80 website.
Visit the URL in your web browser to ensure IIS is running and operational. If there are no pages go here save this file in the website home directory as a location holder.
Step 3: The Installation
For the basic installation, follow these instructions:
1.Run the Installation package. 2.When the Installation wizard starts, click &quot;Next&quot;. 3.Read the License Agreement, select &quot;I accept...&quot;, click &quot;Next&quot;. 4.Click &quot;Typical&quot; for default settings. 5.Click &quot;Install&quot;. 6.Installation will proceed. 7.Click &quot;Finish&quot; to end.
Step 4: Connecting to the SUS Server administration console
All SUS Server administration is done through the web-based management console.
To access the console, visit:
if you are logged into the SUS Server.
if you are connecting to the SUS Server over the network.
Step 5: Setting your SUS Server options
In the SUS Server Administration Console, down the left-hand navigation menu, select &quot;Set options&quot;.
In this area, you can configure the following options:
Select a proxy server configuration. This proxy setting is used when the SUS Server performs a synchronization, either to Microsoft or a parent SUS Server.Specify the name your clients use to locate this update server. This can be the short servername or the fully qualified DNS name of the server. This name is used for the clients to download updates.Select which server to synchronize content from. Generally you will be synchronizing from Microsoft Windows Update, but you can specify another internal SUS Server. Also, the synchronize list of approved items allows this SUS Server to copy the update approval from the specified parent SUS Server, this option is useful for branch office situations. Select how you want to handle new versions of previously approved. Select the option which suits your operational and quality assurance processes. Select where you want to store updates. Generally, you will be saving the updates locally. Click on the &quot;Clear All&quot; button, then select the languages that will be supported by this SUS Server.Click the &quot;Apply&quot; button.
Step 6: Setting up synchronization
In the SUS Server Administration Console, down the left-hand navigation menu, select &quot;Synchronize server&quot;. In this area, you can configure the update synchronization and perform it manually.
Click on &quot;Synchronization Schedule&quot; and configure the schedule to suit your requirements. Click &quot;OK&quot; to complete.
Click &quot;Synchronize Now&quot; to perform the initial synchronization. This will download all updates for the languages you have selected. You may wish to left this task and let the SUS Server do it during the scheduled synchronization.
Step 7: Approving the updates for release
In the SUS Server Administration Console, down the left-hand navigation menu, select &quot;Approve Update&quot;. In this area, you will be approving Microsoft Updates for release to clients.
Click the check box next to each update that you wish to release to the clients, when finished click the &quot;Approve&quot; button and follow the prompt to accept the licensing terms.
Step 8: Where to now
You now have a functional SUS Server with approved updates. It is ready to distribute updates to clients.

UUUUhhhhh...HOW did my name come up as MOONRISER??!! or moonrsr??!!
NOT amused!
Oh well, there is the SUS. If you would like the Autoupdate Client let me know. (or let moonrsr know...I guess)

Thanks for the replys,
Where Im stuck is setting up the clients. I have setup an GPO using the wuau.adm file. I did that under a OU I made. I have users in that OU. When they log on I check the update.log file and it appears the clients are still going out to Microsoft for updates. Do I need to add Computers to the OU verses users?

It looks like URLSCAN was run on my exchange server, which played havok, with OWA. Now I can get to OWA but certain things don't work anymore. For example: I can not delete any messages in OWA I get and Access Denied error! Also most of the buttons in the Send new mail box don't work like the send button and the check names button! Any Ideas! Thanks!

Neutec,

I configured for both users and computers in my GPO for SUS. I put that at the parent OU for both my users and computers. My clients are all XP so I did not have to add the client install to my GPs.

That's how I did it anyway.........

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back