Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with order by and Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovalles

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2001
US
i have the following command:

select item_no,left(request_dt,6)as periodo , qty_remaining From poordlin_sql
WHERE STK_LOC='02' And ord_status<>'N' And qty_ordered>qty_received and left(request_dt,6)<=(200111)

UNION

Select item_no,periodo,qtyr as qty_remaining from(
select distinct ord_no,line_no,item_no,left(request_dt,6)as periodo ,
CASE
(SELECT TOP 1 ORD_STATUS FROM POHDRHST_SQL WHERE POHDRHST_SQL.ORD_NO=P1.ORD_NO
*ORDER BY pohdrhst_sql.hst_dt desc,pohdrhst_sql.hst_tm DESC)
when 'C' THEN 0
else (select top 1 qty_remaining from polinhst_sql p2 where p2.ord_no=p1.ord_no and p2.line_no=p1.line_no
* order by polinhst_sql.hst_dt desc, polinhst_sql.hst_tm desc)
end as qtyR
From polinhst_SQL as p1
WHERE STK_LOC='02' And ord_status<>'N' And qty_ordered>qty_received and left(request_dt,6)<= (200111)) as r

This lines gives me the error Server: Msg 156, Level 15, State 1, Line 5
Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'UNION'.

now if i delete the 2 line marked with * ( the order by clauses ) the union works fine, i just need those 2 subqueries to be ordered.
what can i do?

The ORDER BY clause can include items not appearing in the select list; however, if SELECT DISTINCT is specified or if the SELECT statement contains a UNION operator, the sort columns must appear in the select list.

Furthermore, when the SELECT statement includes a UNION operator, the column names or column aliases must be those specified in the first select list

I most certainly hope this tidbit of info helps....

if you see the first query before the union and the results of the second one, the columns are exacly the same.
The order i am using is on a subquery not the result of the second query, Why is this making conflic?
what should i do?

What is this dangling off the end of the statement?

Code:
)) as r

Because i am going to do after i get a success union a GROUP BY of the query of the union

Have you tried using MAX() instead of Top 1 in your subqueries? I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back