Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with NT4 Drivers on W2K-Print-Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elwood78

Technical User
Jul 11, 2001
DE
Hi,
we have two PrintServers, one only with W2K-Drivers and one additional with W2K/NT4-Drivers. That server goes often down. The system is halted, only power off/on 'helps'...

Can it be, that the server have problems with the NT4-drivers? It is a HP LaserJet 4, DriverVersion 4.3.238, directly from the HP-Site. We need this driver for a software.

thanks for your help...

Hi Elwood,

What makes you think it's the printer drivers - any other info - error messages, event viewer ?

Hi welshguy,

we have 2 equal print servers. On the first server we have only W2K drivers, on the second are NT drivers too. So, I think, it can be a problem with the nt-drivers.

there are some error messages in the event log, 'error 45 Document failed to print due to GDI/Driver error in rendering'. they comes from HP-Printers, normaly... But the same errors we have on the other printserver. directly before the system stops, there are no error messages.

Hi Elwood

yes you're right this is definately a printer driver problem - I've seen it before only machine rebooted rather than locked up.......I'm trying to remember how it was fixed.

Unfortunately I have no HP printers here so can't check - I vaguely remember the solution was something like changing the advanced properties of the printer driver to "print directly to printer" or something like that.

It's got to be worth checking HP site for latest Win2k printer drivers as some of them were very dodgy earlier on.

If my memory returns I'll post it for you
old age I guess !!! :)

Hi welshguy,

this is the article Q271901 in MS-KnowledgeBase... we tried to make that... but it functioned not.

So I can say, that there are problems with NT-drivers on a W2K-PrintServer... That's enough for me... I hope our customer is the same meaning...

thanks a lot for your help...

many greetings
Elwood...

I am trying to get my Windows 2000 server to give out NT4.0 drivers to workstations. But when I create the printer, I only get the option for Windows 2000 drivers. I can't check the Windows NT 4.0 line in additional drivers.

Do you know how to do this?

Thanks,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back