Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilanjanp

MIS
May 30, 2003
IN
I am trying to connect about 6 Windows 98 PCs running on Intel Pro100 Network Adapters to a Dlink Dual Speed Hub. When ever I am connecting the RJ45 cables the "Port Speed:100M" and the "Link/Rx" LEDs on the hub start blinking and I am unable to log on to the network. However, hen I am connecting the same cables to an old 10 Base-T Repeater situated at the same place, the connections are working fine. We also have some machines running on 10 Mbps LAN cards. When I am connecting these machines to the Dual Speed Dlink Hub they are also working fine. I am unable to find a solution to the problem. Can anyone help? Thanking you in advance ........

Sounds typical of auto-negotiation issues - a common interoperability problem. Try hard coding your devices for speed and duplex instead of using auto-neg.
-/jm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back