Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Netware 5.1 server in DMZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffCisco

IS-IT--Management
Aug 7, 2001
GB
Hi

Has anyone had the problem of not being able to connect to a Netware server in a DMZ? I have a firewall with 6 interfaces: outside, inside, DMZ1, DMZ2, DMZ3 and DMZ4. Users on the inside cannot login to the Netware server on DMZ2. I have taken NAT off both, in case this was the problem, but nothing. I can ping the server from the user machines and I can ping the user machines from the server.

The user machine is using Client32 and is using a tree search. I am not sure how this works but I can see packets going from the user machine to the DNS which is in DMZ1 and the DNS machine in DMZ1 is replying. However nothing goes across DMZ2 interface. Also the Novell server only seems to send out packets when it is booted up. These are broadcast packets (255.255.255.255). I assume the PIX will not forward these? Is there any way to get it to forward these? Once the Novell server is up no further packets are sent at all (I had debug on for 15 mins).

TIA for any help,

Jeff.

Just a thought, but does the Novell server have a copy of
the replica on it? If it doesn't, it needs to contact a server which does before it can authenticate anyone to allow them to log in, which since it would mean going from the DMZ inwards would not normally be allowed.

Silene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back