Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with my DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yarka

Technical User
Jan 14, 2007
ES
When i execute nslookup mycomputer.domain, i've this output:

C:\>nslookup mycomputer.domain

Server: dnsserver.domain

Address: 192.168.10.10

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

Name: mycomputer.domain

Address: 192.168.20.20

Why I obtain DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds? How I can resolve this?

Thanks.

Hi,

can you actually reach the dns server "dnsserver.domain"?
try pinging the dns server. If you don't get a response try telnetting to the dns server using port 53.

If the dns server cannot be reached it will give you a request timed out error. the reason that you still get your computername back with it's ip address could be because of local caching of the hostname.

regards,
Marcel

hi,
I can reach the dns server: dnsserver.domain, but I want to know why I obtain DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds , because I don't know it.

Are you sure that your DNS is att 192.168.10.10 and that is up and running?

Yes, my DNS is at 192.168.10.10. I can do ping to mycomputer.domain, it's ok. But when I do: nslookup mycomputer.domain, I always have "DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds", although the name solves it by its IP.
But I'm worried because I always have "DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds".

I have also experienced the same problems. I only get the time out when I attempt to resolve the FQDN. just doing an nslookup on the computer name is fine. However if I do an nslookup on the domain I get the "dns request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds" but still resolves.

I suspect that when you ping Windows is locating the server via WINS. When you use nslookup it's using DNS which isn't configured correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back