Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with multiple criteria - not all variables bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpimental

Programmer
Jul 23, 2002
US
I have a gridview that I'm populating.

I'm connecting to oracle and when I use one select parameter, Name, it works fine.

When I add another one, it gives me the error, ORA-01008: not all variables bound .

Anybody see this error before in this context?

David Pimental
(US, Oh)

Are you using a datasource control, inline SQL, or SP?
More info and a code snippet would be helpful

I am using a datasource control. The Code for the datasource control is below.

Code:
<asp:SqlDataSource  DataSourceMode="DataSet"  ID="institutionResults" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:ConnectionString %>" ProviderName="<%$ ConnectionStrings:ConnectionString.ProviderName %>" 
SelectCommand="SELECT &quot;INSTITUTION_ID&quot;, &quot;NAME&quot;, &quot;ADDRESS&quot;, &quot;CITY&quot;, &quot;STATE&quot;, &quot;ZIP&quot; FROM &quot;INSTITUTION_SEARCH_VIEW&quot; WHERE ((NAME LIKE '%' || UPPER(:NAME) || '%') OR (NAME LIKE '%' || initcap(:NAME) || '%')) AND (ZIP = :ZCODE)">
            <SelectParameters>
                <asp:FormParameter FormField="institutionName" Name="NAME" Type="String" />
                <asp:FormParameter FormField="zip" Name="ZCODE"  Type="String" />
            </SelectParameters>
        </asp:SqlDataSource>

This code produces the error.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Or, is there some Oracle-Specific issue here?

David Pimental
(US, Oh)

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Yes. You are using the datasource controls. Those things are one of the worst things MS came up with. They are great for a very simple page, but will throw errors and become unusable once you do something a bit complicated.
Make your life easier and write a stored procedure and call it from your code. Then when you get the time, write your own DAL.
The datasource controls are not debugable. If you were calling a stored procedure for example, you would be able to trace through your code and find exactly where the error is happening and what it is.

I cannot be of more help with the error because I do not know Oracle.
Good luck.

Jim

Thanks for the help - I appreciate the input.

David Pimental
(US, Oh)

May want to get rid of the double quotes in the select command too.

Code:
SelectCommand="SELECT INSTITUTION_ID, NAME, ADDRESS, CITY, STATE, ZIP 
FROM INSTITUTION_SEARCH_VIEW WHERE ((NAME LIKE '%' || UPPER(:NAME) || '%') 
OR (NAME LIKE '%' || initcap(:NAME) || '%')) AND (ZIP = :ZCODE)">

Mark

"You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."
- Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back