Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PROBLEM WITH MS PATCHES AND VS8.0i

Status
Not open for further replies.

inkastinka

IS-IT--Management
Feb 2, 2005
SE
Hey!

Has anyone here had any problems with the new patches released? We use a patch tool called HFNETCHK 4.0 made by Shavlik. it seems that everytime we shoot out a patch to Windows 2000 SP4 servers it blue screens direct. has anyone hade this problem or use this tool? it seems the problem is with TDI driver (mvstdi5x.sys) they had a patch for this but it didn't fix the problem. right now it looks like the only way is to disable this file in the registry. 500 servers... uh... this isn't an option...

Ah, yes. That is why we refuse to deploy 8.0i. No option during the install to disable that extra crap. I don't want things grabbing onto the IP stack, etc just because of issues like these.

If you are running Active Directory, you could create a Group Policy which could change that key across all servers. Google for something like reg to adm to convert a registry edit into an ADM file that can be imported into GP.

Is this problem for all patches or just the ones that came out last week?

it is a problem between NAI (Virus Scan 8.0) and MS Patches. it doesn't really matter but it seems the .net patch and 014 take the machine down faster.
have contacted NAI and he sat up a machine with everything but could't get it to dump. there has been serveral companies complaining about this.

Yeah the automatic features in 8.0i have been tearing my network up.

I've pulled all 8.0s from my servers, but it seems safe enough to leave client side

we are thinking about doing the same thing. but isn't there a huge difference in the two? I mean protection wise?

8.0 offers additional features like access blocking, unwanted programs, and a few other things

things none of us are probably using anyway

I use all the new option in VS 8.0i and have very few problems....

access blocking were using just the port 25 so viruses and other fun things can't spread. the unwanted programs we don't use because we are a telecom company it finds everything under the moon. but what about buffer overflow? isn't that reason enough?

I've got VSE 8.0 installed on about 200 clients and 4 servers without any serious issues involving any of the recent MS patch deployments/installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back