Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with mirror option in Copy Job-- HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mespe

Technical User
Aug 8, 2003
EC
I have ARCSERVE 2k SP5 and its patches.

I run a Copy job of some folders in one win2k Server to another with the Mirror Option, and now I realize that the destination server is copying fine, but mirroring is not working, for there are files in the source server that have been deleted but dont get erased on the destination server, so the destination folder keeps growing.

According to the documentation Mirror option must delete those files that are not in the source anymore... but that is not happening. In the Activity log I get a warning for each file copied "W3315 Unable to set directoyr acces control list" but even so files get copied with no problem.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks.

MESPE here again....

By the way, this problem happens ONLY on remote copy jobs, not on local, when copying from a remote server.

Hoping to hear a coment....

Thanks for the response. As for security, I also thought so, but I am using a very powerful account to make sure I can have enough permissions.

I have researched tek-tips (by the way this is an excellent forum) and found the thread "How solve error "too many sources" Thread478-1028523 where davidmichel points out that to set up the copy job I have to select the whole drive instead of having the tree expandend, and I had not realized before I have the same "too many sources" message, so seems the solution to this would be around there, yet I am trying to use filters as was suggested, with no success, it is as if the filters are not working for this copy job, the job just ignores the filter and copies whatever was supposedly excluded.

I read the documentation on filters and it is rather scarce. What I need to exclude are folders on the remote server I am copying. I am setting up the filter like this:

Exclude directories

\\SERVERNAME\D$\FOLDERNAME , or
\\SERVERNAME\D$\FOLDERNAME\*.* or
\\SERVERNAME\D:\FOLDERNAME or
\\SERVERNAME\FOLDERNAME$ (the folder is also shared) or
D$\FOLDERNAME

None of these ways have been succesful to my displeasure!!
I cannot believe I cant set up a simple filter! I tried a local filter on the local disk and it worked with no problems.

Any suggestions??

Mespe here again...

Still fighting.... Just found out that when I set up a copy job with filters, AND mirror option, the filters are ignored as if they where not setup, if I run the same job without the mirror options, the filters are processed correctly.

It is as if Mirror and Filters do not coexist..

Ive searched suppportconnect from ca.com but there is no information on this.....

that is a big problem, because it sounds like a bug and there will be no more fixes and updates for ARCserve 2000.

Perhaps you can setup multiple copy jobs to do what you want and work around both problems.

You are right Davidmichel.

I had no other option than to create a hidden share to each folder I needed to backup in the remote server, and set it up in the Preferred Shares/Machines section, so that I can select each one as if it was a whole drive. Used Mirror option and from reading the activity log seems to be working well. No need to use filters anymore.

What is weird is that even setting up the job like that, I still get warning W3415, "Unable to set file access control list" (File:filename.doc, EC=ACCESS DENIED), and yet the job copies well those files...

We just ordered Arcserve version 11 now, and I am curious if this is a bug or if it is by design. Member Vschumpy points out in thread 478-1213567 that if do Mirror, you dont do filters, for a mirror implies everything on the remote share.

By now I hope I can survive with my job with several shares...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back