Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with line protocol on DMZ interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

psavin

Technical User
Dec 6, 2005
US
Hi all. I'm finally getting around to setting up a DMZ on our PIX, which has been running fine for about a year, using static routable IPs for the inside interface (no nat).

I assigned IPs to the e2 interface, and set the speed so it's not shutdown. However, when I connect it to our switch using a straight cable, I get a link light on the switch, but sh int e2 still shows "interface ethernet2 "dmz" is up, line protocol is down".

I do have a license for the interface, and tried various speed (including auto) and different cables etc. Am I missing something obvious here, how do I get the line protocol up?

What are the port settings on the switch you've connected to. I would check this ensure the e2 interface matches the switch port setting.

Thanks for the reply. I don't have access to the swtich to check it out, but I assume that it's 100full, as this is what I have the inside interface set to, which is connected to the same switch right now and working.

Any other suggestions?

I'd try setting e2 to 100full and plugging it into the inside interface port. I'd also try the cable currently connected to the inside interface.

I tried yet another cable and it worked. So I guess I have about 6 bad cables laying around, argh! I didn't think to look at the cable, thanks to not exactly knowing if I'm configuring it right. So, thanks again! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back