Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with IP Softphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjforcum

Technical User
Jul 15, 2002
US
Hi All,

When trying to log in with the Avaya Softphone on my laptop via my VPN connection, the software indicates an error prompting me to close and relaunch the software. If this doesn't work (it didn't), to uninstall and re-install the software (it didn't work). If that doesn't work I'm instructed to contact Avaya or my business partner.

Before I pay them for something that I'm assuming is a trival fix, has anyone had a similar experince?

The funny thing is I am able to launch & login when I'm on the LAN....I've been able to determine that this only happens when I'm on my DSL line with a VPN connector.

TIA,
Steve

I had a similer thing a while back, try changing the login settings to be "cable xdsl" instead of local area network

are you using telecommuter or road warrior?

in either case, is the IP range of the VPN network included in the ip-network-map form?

OK it happens when I attempt to login in either mode.

Also of note the softphone is working from other laptops. It seems to be contained to this laptop as of now.

I'm thinking an easy fix is to format, since this is just a loaner laptop I'm using....but that's not feasable with other PC's which this might happen to occur on in the future.

Any other ideas?

TIA,
Steve

are you running windows xp ?
if so, did you turn on QOS RSVP under services ?

I am running XP, however I do not have any QOS running. It's a manual service which is currently stopped.

If you are running XP Professional and you do not have QOS RSVP turned on in Windows SERVICES (either as manaul or automatic) and your run your softphone R4 or higher, it will fail and close. At a minimum, you will need to have services turned on as manual.

Also, have you looked at the sofphone login setting under the advanced tab ... under certain VPN conditions, you have to hardcode that VPN client ip address.

I turned on the service and had no success.

With regards to the advanced tab, I have specified which ports to use (the defaults) and on other PC's this has worked without issue.

I'm lost....

Would the XP firewall service have problems with IPSoftphone? I know some VPN software won't let the SOftphone through.

I'll check the firewall tonight. I could swear I turned it off, but I'll double check.

If all else fails, have you tried your VPN on a known ISP that works, because some ISP do block tcp port 1720 for call control and maybe h.323 protocols or Port range between 1025 to 54535 for the audio part. This way, you will eliminate that its your PC and therefore, isolate your problem to the ISP.

As for the advance tab that i mentioned above, back before softphone supported VPN (release 3 and when used with G3 Release 8.4 or Release 9.1, 9.2 and 9.3), you have to fill out some info on that page that matches your VPN settings )to see them on your XP go to cmd and type ipconfig /all and look for the IP address assigned to your VPN interface, as you will actually see two ... one physical ip for your pc and the other for the vpn tunnel).

Is this a cisco vpn ?

It's a checkpoint VPN with a secure client. I know it's not ISP related since I can use softphone with my other laptop without issue.

I didn't get a chance to check the XP Firewall. I'll try that tonight.

Thanks,
Steve

Its probably not your xp firewall, but your checkpoint. Make sure your profile has 1719 UDP opened and what ever range you have on your ip-network-region. If you can't log on...1719. If you can't hear....ip-network-region ports arent open.

In the future everything will work...

The first thing I will do is check if I can ping the Clan board from your laptop through the VPN and make it continuous regarding microcuts in the line.
The Firewall is not too compatible with Ip phones, so try to disable it into the client site (if you can).In other case you have to enable the UDP ports used in the ip-net-region and the H.323 protocol.
The headsets had to be USB adapters.

Hope it helps

If you share your internet connection you will have that problem.

==========================================================
Does anyone have a quarter, I need to make a phone call?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back