Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with IP address and subnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldfishflake

Technical User
Jun 14, 2002
US
OK, now I have another problem, or not, depends on if it is supposed to do/be like this! The IP bound to the server is 10.0.0.4, the subnet is 255.255.255.0. Inetcfg is fine with this, but TCPCon is showing it as 10.0.0.0 with that subnet. Am I doing something wrong here? I admin this server but the info comes from a network guru in another office who set it all up. Could this be why the users across another router and switch can't login? They can "see" the tree and server, but not access it. I have two routes in my routing table, one direct destination to the 10.0.0.0 (which I think should be 10.0.0.4) and one default to next hop (type is remote) to 10.0.0.1 which is the way I was told to set it up. Somehow I don't think this is working! Anyone with any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Your router is fine, chances are if I had to guess is that the router(s) are not passing NCP requests. Kinf od interesting if you are filtering out various IP pieces or not allowing them to go through.

When you setup a router, when you specify a default route, it will automatically assume 10.0.0.0 <---- noting the last 0 as it defines the &quot;WIRE&quot;, and if you recall 10.x.x.255 <--- last number defines the broadcast address. Everything in between is to be assigned to a node or port. So on the router you can have a port IP address assignment within that range, you can also have a device connected to that port within that address range. Router to router, again, you can have IP's setup within that range, but default routes will always end in a 0 in the route tables unless your supernetting which is more than what most ppl do.

So now a good place to look: IP only, make sure NCP is routing, if you can ping the server but can't login to it, chances are this is the problem. If you are using IPX/SPX you may need to look at RIP and SAP... Just for kicks, you may want to just allow rip and sap requests to pass through the router anyways. Also, make sure that NDS itself canpass traffic. There are specified ports for each of the above mentioned items, and a default setup on a router will not be sufficient to allow a login to the novell server, I know this for a fact because I did some tests with Foundry Layer 2/3 switches and ran into the same problem. LEft out the part to configure the router for Novell traffic.

HTH

Mark
Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

With more than 10 years experience to share.

Thanks for your quick reply! Now how do I make sure NCP is routing? And how do I also make sure NDS can pass traffic? Thanks again!

I may have neglected to mention that I can ping the workstation from the server console. I just can't ping the server from the workstation. Also, I can telnet to the router from the workstation, then to the server from there, but I can't telnet directly to the server from the workstation.

Sounds like you have some sort of ICMP problem as far as the IP Pings is concerned. The router may be set to not allow ICMP forwarding. Some places of business will implement this but will keep IP pings local and not allow ICMP requests to come into the networ from the outside. So here's what you need to do, if no other workstation can ping the server, assuming they are all on the same subnet, then there is a problem that will require a bit more looking into. If the pc's are on a different subnet and you can not ping, then the issue lies in the router.

As far as allowing NCP requests, what I would do is pull the documentation for that router and look up setting up a Netware LAN and it should give you all the tidbits you need to allow NCP requests etc. SOunds like your router guy did not take the time to document what needed to be done to make this work without a headache.

Spend some time in the documentation, I believe once you look into it, you will discover the problem.

HTH
Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

With more than 10 years experience to share.

Discovered today that I can ping the server, but I still can't access it. I did a ping and it went through just fine. I am looking into the things mentioned here, and hopefully all will be well. Thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back