Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mun

Programmer
Mar 5, 2003
US
Hello All,

I did upgrade from XP home to XP pro on my notebook. I don't know what's wrong with it, I'm not able to connect to the Internet since I upgraded. Can somebody help me with this problem.

Thanks in advance.

well lets start by finding out what type of internet you use. is it a modem dialing up to an ISP, is it a broadband connection through a network card. Are you on a network and have to pass through a Proxy?

Thanks bilsten,

It's a modem dialing up to an ISP. I'm not on a network, it's a stand alone (using at home) laptop.

first what is the ISP, second what happens when you try and dail up, what is the error you are geting

I've AOL & MSN. When I use AOL the moment I login it says "error occured in your intenet connection, exit the application and restart". When I use MSN it doesn't even allow me to login, says "unable to provide MSN service/error in your system".
I tried to setup new connection, but all the options are disabled except connect using broadband cable. I don't know what else to try.
Any help is appreciated.

go into hardware manager, and look under modems, if there is a red X or a yellow ! you could have problems with the hardware. start there just to make sure the modem is working ok.

I had a similar problem with my laptop and after spending a considerable amount of time with Compaq and Microsoft, I finally figured it out on my own. Go to the modem settings and try clicking or unclicking hardware or software control. I don't have the details as I'm away from my laptop. Hope that helps..

markallen2

I would really appreciate if you can give me the details.I have a long pending problem.The same problem that Mun is having.

AOL Tech

markallen2 & bilsten,

I tried everything, but I couldn't rectify the problem. I would really appreciate if you could help me out with this problem.

Thanks.

Mun

have u tried this?

1.go to control panel then to administartive tools->services.
2.start the following services RPC,telephony,remote auto connection manager and make the startup as automatic.

AOL Tech

Mun

In regards to your earlier post stating: "I tried to setup new connection, but all the options are disabled except connect using broadband cable."

would Smah's Apr 23, 2003 post in thread779-532765 apply?

I suspect that upgrading was a bad idea. A clean install would have been perferable. Now, I would try:
1) uninstall the modem from the Device Manager
2) turn off
3) physically remove the modem
4) turn on again, make sure it is gone
5) turn off
6) physically install the modem
7) turn on and allow XP to find the modem
8) install the proper drivers
9) see if it works.

You may also have a TCPIP configuration issue or simply the wrong password.

Good luck !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back