Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with internet connection - Please Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantoKing

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
GB
Hello,

I am currently having a problem with my home pc.
I can't seem to get into certain websites such as Hotmail, also I have a problem when trying to download. I keep getting page not found errors and I'm scratching my head over it. I used opera and that was better but I was still unable to access hotmail.

My outlook express also seems to have a problem with sending emails although I can recieve emails fine.

MSN Messenger was working but has now stopped.

My initial thought was a virus but after running 2 different virus programs my pc is clear (after getting the most recent updates). I've also run adaware and cleared all spyware off my pc but I'm still having the same problem.

My ISP are no help at all.

I've checked the Hosts file, flushed the DNS Cache, deleted all history and cookies, and I've run regsvr32 to reregister dlls as on the Microsoft website.

I'm running XP home SP1 with all the microsoft patches applied, Zonealarm Firewall and AVG antivirus

Can anyone shed any light on what the problem might be.

Cheers,

Steve.

Make things as simple as possible — but no simpler. [pc3]

Hi Steve,

Sounds just like the problem I reported at thread608-867186

Also, have a look at MS KnowledgeBase article number 326155 - that was where I found my answer: "Incorrectly configured, non-functioning, or incomplete firewall or proxy software has been installed".

I had ZoneAlarm version 2.6 - got rid of it - IE6 connects like a dream!

Chris

Varium et mutabile semper Excel

Thanks,

I've tried disabling zonealarm but it still has the same problem. I'll have to try uninstalling it tonight.

Thanks for the quick response.

Cheers,

Steve

Hello,

I uninstalled zonealarm last night and it has had no effect on the problem. Also now my internet connection keeps dropping every 2-3 minutes. I've tested my modem and my ISP connection on another PC and it seems fine.

Any suggestions anyone?

Cheers,

Steve.

I hope you find an answer, I'm having exactly the same problem and it's driving me nuts !

There are no problems, just solutions... [pipe]

Have you tried replacing your NIC????
Also see how your connections are setup
look under properties of IE and under the connections tab
and LAN settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back