Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with InDesign CS library

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaidomac

Technical User
Oct 23, 2004
US
I created a library with a collection of graphics that I am using throughout my documents. When I want to use them, I open the InDesign document and the InDesign library and drag and drop the graphic from the library to the document. My problem comes in after I've saved and exited InDesign. When I open the document again, it says that the document contains missing links to those graphics files. What gives? Is there some setting I'm not checking off or something?

When you do this, make sure your Links pallette is open and see if ID records the link.

A library is not a folder, its only a set of references to images. Graphical elements in a library should be saved in a folder and then added to the library by either the Add on the library window or by dragging the image, after placing in an ID doc, to the library window. If you create a graphical element in ID and just drag it to a library without saving it in a graphics format, ID will not be to associate it with a folder for the link.

If you're just creating some simple things like colored boxes, they can be placed directly in a library because they'll be recognized as Geometry and be part of your doc - not a link.

I was under the impression that the library would save the graphics stored in it. The library file grew as I added my icons to it (its about 10 megs now). So this isn't the case?

Linked images must be stored in a Folder and ID needs that folder for the links.. The only way to simply stash images in Library File, without saving them to a folder, is to embed them in the document when you place them - simply doing away with any links.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back