Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Impromptu 6 and PICK database

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2002
CY
Hi
I am getting problems with Impromptu aborting on retrieval of some columns from a PICK database using Raining Data D3 ODBC driver. Cognos support have acknowledged it as a problem, but can/will not give a suitable fix time.
Has anyone else found a similar problem, and more imprtantly, has anyone found a reliable solution for PICK?

Thanks in advance

Haven't met this particular problem, but 2 ideas:
1. try to find another PICK odbc driver - maybe an evaluation download?
2. install a simple SQL writer like 'WinSQL' ( and see if you can use the ODBC driver you have to retrieve data. This will isolate if it's the odbc driver or Impromptu giving you trouble.

Thanks for the input BruceJ.
I have established that it Impromptu's use of SQL which is causing the problem with the D3 ODBC driver. Cognos support have accepted there is a Cognos problem. However, I am left with having to resolve this in a shorter timescale than Cognos' fix time.
MS Query can retrieve the data it would appear, but we have a corporate policy of using IQD's to provide data to Transformer, rather writing our own SQL, so really I need a solution, rather than a 'workround'.

Have you experience of using other drivers on PICK, if so which ones ?
I cannot find an evaluation copy of another ODBC driver - any suggestions ?

Typically, when there is an ODBC issue, the recommendation is to make some adjustments in the cogdmod.ini file. This can change the way that Impromptu formulates the SQL from the report. Looking in the file I see no specific support for the Pick database.

What advice / direction has Cognos given you thus far? Are there specific functions you are using in calculated columns or filter expressions that might be the cause of the SQL problem?

Dave Griffin :)

thanks for the interest dave

cognos is talking to a Pick reseller in the middle, so i am unfortunately shielded from their explicit explanation. they have, however, indicated a change to the ini file, which i have carried out, but to no avail.

However, i am doing nothing more than retrieving std db columns from one table - no joins, no calcs, nothing fancy - it just doesn't want to play. If I change the order of the retrieval of the columns, it sometimes works. Obviously this is not usable in production environment.

Ian,

The only other major player in Pick ODBC I can see is GA Express. Their website is:

Given the simplicity of the reports you are trying and the inability to make them work, you might want to try another ODBC vendor if it's possible in your environment.

HTH,

Dave Griffin ;-)
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back