Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Hyperlinks from WordXP (relative vs. absolute referancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal63

MIS
May 22, 2001
CA
I've recently expierienced a problem with Adobe Acrobat 5.0.5 and WordXP.

My company keeps all of our work instructions and form templates on our intranet in .pdf format for everyone to look at. These document cross-referance each other freqently, so they have links that go from one .pdf file to another.

The documents are accessed by Internet Explorer via .HTML menu pages on the root of the quality intranet. (Q:\)
The work instructions are located in the folder Q:\WI and the forms are located in the folder Q:\FRMS.
The folders contain a working copy of each document in Word, and a published .PDF copy.

In word, the hyperlinks that referance other documents are relative. (../FRMS/Form1.PDF) but when they are converted to .PDF, all the links become absolute. (Q:\FRMS\Form1.pdf)

The problem occurs when someone opens a .PDF file in thier browser from the .HTML page, then when they click on one of the absolute links it looks for the file from within the current directory and fails.

ie. 'Q:\Frms\Q:\WI\WorkInstruction5.pdf' could not be found.

As you can guess, this is pretty irritating! Oddly, if you open one of the .PDF files directly (and it opens in the actual reader, not the IE browser plug-in) then these absolute referance work.

So I'm at a loss of how to fix this. I'd like to know if there was a setting in the PDFwriter for Word that would force it to keep the relative referances and not introduce absolute referances.

Any help would be appreciated, sorry for the long essay but I wanted to make sure that anybody with some helpful ideas would know what the situation was. Thanks.

Hi jackal63,

a known problem we are discussing in this forum.
Look for meumax, ETID and further.

Good luck

lichter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back