Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with HTTPS sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddy83

MIS
Jul 16, 2014
US
Morning all, iss

I have been working with a computer that will open all but two https sites. The other computers going through the service providers 5 port switch are able to open both of the https sites, that this computer will not. Below are some of the steps I have taken:

1) disabled and uninstalled any unnecessary services and software
2) ran cccleaner to remove internet temp files, prefetch files and other basic clean up
3) disable the antivirus (avast free edition)
4) disable the windows firewall
5) changed internet version from 11 to 9, as the other systems were connecting with 9, thought potentially something not compatable in the web page coding with the new IE.
6) tried using firefox and received the same result.

When I attempt the sites, IE comes back with the screen when internet connection is not present and you have the option to run diaganotics to see if it can determine the problem. Both times that i ran it, it was unable to find any issues, which I somewhat expected.

At this time I am unsure how to troubleshoot the issue. Start to suspect possible and ISP issue, however, not sure how to proceed to determine the problem.

Can some one assist?

Windows 7
IE 9

Thanks,
Terry

Something I forgot on the previous thread, the webpages are using a :port number in the address and the web page that they are to login into uses a .faces at then end. This is one I have not seen and perhaps could be a missing pluging. Also I checked, and the other machines did not have Java installed on them, another troubleshooting step that I did.

Anyone can use any extension they want to, as long as the server knows what to do with it and it sends an appropriate MIME type to the browser it will work, no 'plugin' needed

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back