Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with html files edited in Dreamweaver displaying on server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorfy8503

Technical User
Jan 4, 2012
US
I have Adobe CS 5.5 and use Dreamweaver to maintain my employers web page.

I upgraded from CS3 a few months ago. After the upgrade, I was unable to get any pages that I edited in Dreamweaver to display properly on our server. I use an external FTP upload program so it is not a Dreamweaver FTP communication issue. After running some various troubleshooting tests to try and isolate the problem I have come to the conclusion that is an issue with Dreamweaver CS5 itself.

I tried uploading the files with another FTP service and the same result. When I opened and resaved the files in an older version of dreamweaver they displayed correctly when uploaded through either FTP service. I have had a similar issue with PDF files created from various CS5 programs (namely InDesign and Illustrator)

It is very costly and time consuming to have to include these extra steps as I do not have access to the older version of Dreamweaver except through another employee who has a very different schedule then I do. Does anyone know of a setting that I could change that would make it display on the server. It may be a security issue as the error message says something about not having permission to display the page. I checked all security settings that I could find and none seem to be hindering it but I'm at a loss for where else to look. Any help is appreciated.

I have scoured the internet and Adobe support pages and not found any help for this issue but perhaps I'm not using the right key words so my apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere and I couldn't find it. Also sorry for the length of the post but I didn't know how to condense it any further.

This is the message that displays.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /testing123.htm on this server.
Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) Server at Port 80

What permissions do you have assigned to that file?

I never changed anything from the defaults.

Where would I look for that?

Im not sure what you are asking? So you can save the page and then upload using a third party FTP software right?

Is your issue in uploading using DW ftp?

If that's the case make sure your paths in your server setup are correct.

Darryn Cooke
| Marketing and Creative Services

I am not using Dreamweaver FTP.

The problem is that after I edit or create a page, no matter what software you use to upload it, it will not display on the web. (see error message above) To get it to display on the web we have to open it and re-save it in an older version of dreamweaver and then upload it.

It seems that there must be some setting in how Dreamweaver CS5 saves it that the server cannot display it. I have never changed any settings in dreamweaver (they are all the default settings from install) so I don't have a clue what is causing it or what I can do to fix it. Seems like this would be a no-brainer but I can't find anything when I go looking for it.

I'm one of the more knowledgeable tech people here but I am at a complete loss on this one so I was hoping that someone had run into it before.

On a sidenote the same thing happens with PDF files created from CS5 programs that we upload.

Saving the file does not assign permissions as far as DW is concerned. CMOD is where file permissions are handled and that is done through the server. Not the code editing software.

I do not think DW has anything to do with this and I do not know why one version would create this issue over another. All DW does is let you edit the file and save it.

If I am wrong please someone correct this.

Darryn Cooke
| Marketing and Creative Services

Can you post a sample page code from the Dreamweaver CS3 version that isn't working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back