Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with harddisk space

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushtosri

Programmer
Feb 25, 2001
US
Hi all,
I've a peculiar problem. My pri. partition is around 1.5GB and I've installed Win. ME on it. Though I've freed around 200MB of hard disk space my system on booting into Windows says that there is no enough space on the harddisk and asks me to free up some space by uninstalling some software. I've 192MB of RAM. I find that my free harddisk space around 10MB or so. This keeps on varying. Sometimes it shows that the free space is around 60MB and sometimes around 30MB. Can anyone tell me what could be the problem and how to rectify it? I tried checking for virus with Norton Antivirus 2002 with recent updates being installed but didnt find any.

Would like to get some inputs from u.
thankx in advance
regards,
Shri.

Have you set the swapfile size? By default it will expand and contract depending on usage (so affecting amount of free space). If you set its min & max to same value, it will always be that size.

PS. 1.5GB is a bit small to run ME on.

You need a larger hard drive... On many older systems, you will have no end of trouble once you use more than about 90% of your hard drive space.

If you don't want to shell out some $85 for a nice drive, or if your system is too old to handle drives larger than 32gig, try a second hand computer store. You should be able to get an 8gig drive for about $30 or $40.

Be sure to know what your system can handle if you get one larger than 32g, it may not let you use all of it...

I recommend buying a bigger harddrive. 1.5 Gig is not big enough for windows in most cases. Windows needs over 300 megs of extra space. Once you start installing games and software it fills up pretty fast. Windows likes to hog up lots of hard drive space to run effectively.

You might also have a Memory Hole in one of your programs that keeps using up memory and not freeing it back up again. I know that hcdetect.dll has a memory leak in it and it can cause systems to crash. There are probably other programs that can do this.

Personally, I think ME is less stable than Win98. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Thankx a lot for ur replies. My total harddisk capacity is 10GB. I've also installed other OSs like Windows 2000 pro and Redhat Linux 7.2 on my harddisk along with Win ME. I'm planning to buy one more harddisk of larger capacity. I posted my problem just bcoz I was worried if there was any software problem.

Anyway thankx once again.
regards,
Shri.

Now that we know you have a 10 gig Harddrive you should have allowed your primary partition to be a little bigger so Windows has more breathing space so to speak.
In my experience the computer starts slowing down when it gets within 20% of being full.
Make your primary partition 2.5gig and don't run it above 80% capacity. Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

There is never enough room for windows.
I have ME on 610 MB and it continually whines. But it keeps running.
Flush the bin and kill the temporary stuff and it is happy. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

rushtosri,
What really takes space in WinME is "system restore".
Try disabling it (System Properties>Performance>File System>Trouble shooting)
Then remove it from loading at start up(remove it from the registry).>restart
Then you'll be able to delete the "restore" folder. I hope this will help solve your problem.

Repartition your drive over 2 gigs for fat 32. If it was me I would run 98SE on on this smaller drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back