Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Group Shield and Veritas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2002
SG
Backing up Exchage using Exchange Agent is fine up and running.

But when I have instlled GroupShield .. the services of BackupExec 8.6 failed to start .. and I check the event viewer. The GroupShield was on the hung mode... I got a theory that this contribute the error that I have encountered.

Anyone encountered this error before ?

Jerry

By the way most of the services does'nt start anymore ..with database specified doest not exist.

"Database specified does not exist" is an error the Backup Exec Device & Media service gives when it is having problems opening the BE PVL.MDB (a MS access db with info about the drives, tapes, and media sets). There are several technotes on this, just put in that exact error on the Veritas support site search field. Groupshield was probably scanning the db while BE was trying to access it and it may need repairing (one of the technotes covers how to repair the db using the OS ODBC applet).

Funcrecall12:
-------------

- Following on from Jamkey's comments, there are technotes on the VRTS support page but what you alos might want to check is that the PVL.MDB's path is correctly referenced in the registry:
- open Registry editor with regedit or regedt32
- HKLM\software\veritas\Adamm\ you should see a value "ODBC Driver connection String" and the path: check to see that it matches the actual location of the PVL.MDB. By default it should be in you Backup exec\NT directory
- updating the MDAC components would help if all else fails but I would recommend that you remove BE first (copy out the PVL.MDB , DATA & Catalog folders before you do so, so that after installing BE you can just re-insert those files and you will have all your restore selections, job definitions/history and media sets back) > apply the SP > boot > apply the MDAC (if you go for MDAC 2.6 make sure you install the Jet 4 components and also use the component checker to help you do so) > boot > re-install BE in Eval > boot > check to see how stable the services are , then copy those above mentioned files back in.

Here's the link the the MDAC, but I would only do this as a last resort if whatever links you find do not help:

Cheers
Dog

Cheers
Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back