Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Find command and downed NFS mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranazar

MIS
Jun 12, 2003
CA
I want the find command to skip all nfs filesystems. I use the following syntax:

find / -fstype nfs -prune -o -name myfile -print

The (very frustrating) problem is that if the remote host for the nfs filesystem is down, find will still try to contact it even though I've told it prune all nfs filesystems. The result is a long timeout while it tries to talk to the remote server.

How do I structure a find command so that it completely ignores nfs filesystems and prevents those long delays when dealing with downed servers?

(I've encountered this problem both with AIX 4.3.3 and 5.2).

-local is not a viable flag in AIX 4.33 or 5.2.

It does bring up a related question, though. Is there a location where I can download a find binary that will do what I need?

Looks like you do not want to skip the nfs,but to intentionally search them:

find / -fstype nfs -prune -o -name myfile -print

To search jfs only you would use :

find / -fstype jfs -o -name myfile -print

"Long live king Moshiach !"

Those commands would work fine to skip nfs, except if one of the nfs mounts is to a server that is unreachable. Then, even though I've told it to skip nfs, it still tries to contact the nfs share and times out (if it's a hard mount, it'll just keep trying forever). There doesn't seem to be any way to force it to ignore nfs mounts entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back