Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with external hard drive: it stopped working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcruise3230

Technical User
May 3, 2005
US
Dear members:

Hi I recently brought a external hd enclosure and hd IDE: (ENCLSR 3.5" USB2.0 AMS DS-2316B2BK - Retail Price=$37.99)
HD 120GB|SEAGATE ST3120026A 8mb % - OEM Price=$81.00))

The first time when i plugged the usb from the enclsoure and the hd ide in the usb 1.1 of my laptop, window xp quickly recognized and installed it. then i formatted the drive and used 100 gb to form 2 partitions and put about 2 gb of video on both partitions. However, when the 2nd time i turned the computer on, (when it was installed already) it stop working properly or something: it said on USB mass storage device properties on the device status: this device cannot be started (code 10). so, i tried uninstalling then reinstalling, but it kept saying the same thing, no matter what, even if i installed the drivers from the cd (just to see if it works but i didn't have to since i have window xp) and updated the driver from that cd for the hd enclosure and hd ide, but when i restarted my computer, it didn't turned back on. (so i had to roll back to to most recent confrigation that worked before, meaning uninstallling the drivers from the cd (never mind about that because thats not the problem.). i checked help and support on window xp, and tried all of the suggestions it told be, however that didn't seem to work either. therefore can you plese help me out, and let me know please what seems to be the problem and how do I fix it properly (anything will do :)thank you very much!

this device cannot be started (code 10).

What chipset is in the external box?

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

never mind. i found what the problem was: the 4 screws that came with the hd enclosure, i didn't screw that in cuz i thought it wasn't needed. but because i didnt it got loose and thats why it didn't get started. so screwed the 4 screws in where it belong then turned it on and it was was working fine just like the first day. however, thanks any way still appreciate with all your help. but i have just one questions: it says it comes with a warranty for both. so i just want to know do u have to register your product in manafacturer site or you just buy it from newegg.com (like i did) and it automatically register the warranty or something like that? please let me know any way u can! thank you very much

Its best for your sake to go to the mfgr website and register. They are far more liable to repair or replace the unit as needed if you have registered with them.
On the other hand, if not, and you have a sales receipt or copy of an online bill of sale or receipt, im sure they would accept that, but why take a chance. Sometimes you may buy something from newegg and your receipt only has,say, some numbers and not much of a description. It could cause a delay in getting your product taken care of under warranty, or even possibly denied, so its best to register right at the mfgr. It paid off for me with Norton as they had records of all my purchases and recognized me as a good customer and went out of their way for me once. They sent me NSW pro free as a result of my complaint.

If you dont find it in the info(manual) you got with it, then you can:

look inside the bax and the largest chip on there, get that name, that might give you the name or give you info that can get you the name.
go to mfgr website and see if you can find it there.
email the mfgr and ask them.
google it: run the mfgr name thru google and you might find it that way.
download "everest" for free - use google to find everest.
Everest may tell you, it gives you info on all hardware in your computer, you have to install it, but its a small prog that works real well.
Finally, email the people you bought it from and ask them what chipset it is.
One of these should do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back