Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Expand/Contract a Selection Marquee 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedMule

Technical User
Nov 24, 2003
US
Hi there

Every time I expand a rectangular selection it grows by the number of pixels I request but also chops off the corners to give a chamfer.

The larger the pixel value for the expansion the larger the chamfer.

I've hunted high and low through panels/tools but can't find a setting for this.

No doubt it's something embarrassingly obvious but it's got the measure of me!

Any ideas what's causing the expand selection facility to produce this chamfer?

Best regards

SM7

When you expand a rectangular shape the corners that start out
as 0 now increase by pixel size, 3 pixels will round the corner by
half 1.5 pixels. I dont know of any way to get around this.

Thom

The longest jounney starts with the first step.

Thanks Thom

Seems like a simple restriction for such a great package - but then I'm not an Adobe software engineer!

I just assumed the marquee would scale uniformly from the initial selection without losing any integrity. Not so, it seems.

All the best

SM7

Essentially, I was querying why the corners were chopped when the selection was expanded by pixel increments.

As you said, scaling the x- and y-axes of the selection via transform seems to be the only way unless the size of the marquee is pre-defined.

Cheers

SM7

Hi Speedmule,

You can change the selection you made not only by changing the x- and y-axes. When you made a selection and the selection is not quite what you want, go to Select> Transform selection.

You will have now some anchorpoints on your selection. This way you can change the dimensions of your selection.

hope this helps
Carlow

Thanks Carlow

Correct. I can scale it "realtime" by using the anchor points or for numeric precision I can enter the axes sizes/percentages in the specified fields.

The "chamfer thing" with the expand selection facility bugs me a little because it's handy to grow the outline in smaller increments - ie 1-5 pixels maybe.

Cheers

SM7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back