Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with .EXEs 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moritsu

Programmer
Aug 28, 2004
US
Ok first off my program runs fine in the QBasic environment and as a stand-alone executable. However when I try to move the executable from the default folder (It always puts it in the same directory as QB) it says that it is in use by another program or process..... It also won't let me delete the program after I've made it an executable. I am currently using Windows XP Professional. Any help would be greatly appreciated I would really like to be able to move my program!!

now is this Qbasic or QuickBasic ?

It could be that you don't close all files and/or you are not ending the program correctly.

There are some issues apparently with XP as MS moves away from it. It is getting harder to run and some things are
all but impossible it seems to achieve on xp.

Are you sure it is stand-alone (if quickbasic) or does it
ask for the run-time module.

Of course without the code, it's all speculation.

I wrote it and compiled it in QuickBasic 4.5 as a stand alone executable. The only way I can delete it is to go into safe-mode's command prompt and delete it. It is just a simple demo of the kill command.... I will post the code if necessary... Do you think this is just an example of XP's poor DOS emulation????

I've never heard of that happening unless somehow the program was changed to a system or something attribute.

You can't delete it through windows explorer either ?
If not, that is strange.

No I can only delete it in safe-mode.... It is very strange....

why not try
attrib progname.exe

to see what attributes it has

I've encontered this problem before it is not a problem with qbasic - it is either xp windows restore or a virus scanning program you are running(most likely this) -
you can download this program:
After you download the program you can go to search and type the program name - once it finds the program(it will show you the program that is currently accessing it)
select were it shows the your programs name then right click and go to close handle
then you should beable you move/delete the file

%, 2004

Thank both of you guys you both helped me sooooo much!!! The QuickBasic community really is nice....

Did you compile it as a stand alone .exe or one that requires BRUN45?

I'm having the same problem with a compiled Qbasic 4.5 exe. None of the solutions posted in this thread have worked. I cannot delete it in Safe Mode. Any ideas?

what is the exact message you're receiving when trying to delete the file Wyloch

Cannot delete: it is being used by another process or program.

Ah, no. This is after several restarts, both normal and in safe mode. It's never even being opened, so there's nothing to close in the first place. It seems to have attached itself to explorer.exe as a "handle." I tried the utility suggested earlier in this thread, and it does kill the handle (temporarily), but I STILL can't delete the .exe!

try to delete the file in commandline safemode
in this mode explorer doesn't even load

here is a solution that will work but might be overkill but it will work

go to this url download the iso for knoppix
burn the iso to a cd
boot your computer to the knoppix cd
it will boot up into a gui - a windows like environment
your harddrives and cdroms will appear on the desktop
open the drive your file is located on find the file delete it
then you can press ctrl+alt+del once to shutdown the gui and restart the computer

%, 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back