Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Excel and Mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg54321

Programmer
Dec 17, 2007
US
I am having the exact same problem as described in the now closed thread68-1087716. Basically SOMETIMES when you select a cell with a left click and you go to move the mouse it behaves as if the left key is still down. There are no stuck keys, etc.

I have tried all of the solutions offered with no success. The only way I can get the mouse and Excel to behave properly is to reboot. That kind of stinks when you have entered a bit of information.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

I had a Sales person on a laptop that was goofy. Her key strokes actually acted like mouse movments. We worked on that goofy thing for months. Then, we went into the control panel and set her mouse to the touch pad, and reset her keyboard to the internal one and it fixed it. The mouse was set to her keyboard. Very weird, but something to try.

Thanks for the replies, this is a desktop so it isn't the keypad. And the ClickLock was indeed already off.

This is an intermittent thing. I can sometimes use Excel for quite a while and it is fine, then it acts up. Once it starts the only way to resolve it is to reboot the PC, exiting Excel and restarting it without a reboot puts me right back into the same mode.

it's your mouse wheel, it's stuck in the down position

I'd certainly test changing the mouse. It can't harm after all.

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

I don't have a wheel on this mouse. I guess I will go get a new one and give that a shot.

Thanks.

I've had the same problem, it happens when you use key combinations with ctrl and shift etc. maybe when you're using the keyboard to cut and paste? In my case it was another one of those "helpful features of Windows" it seems you can set the keyboard into a state where the shift or ctrl key is locked on like the CAPS lock. Check the "Accessibility Options" settings in the control panel to see if there's anything enabled like "Use Sticky Keys" or "Use Mouse Keys' in the mouse section, it seems I've also been able to turn it off by repeating some multiple key stroke combinations like I mentioned above, I can't remember at the moment which specific one it was though.

Hope this helps!

Agreed about checking for "helpful" key combos. The "hold down shift for 15 minutes handicap accessibility" feature gets old very quickly.

Sometimes when Excel goes stupid, I have to exit out of it entirely to get control back. Fortunately, whatever key state it was stuck in is not preserved on the save. Back in the Office 97 era, the little blue Word icon on the start bar would turn black when it was about to crash. I assume it was actually some sort of rendering error with the alpha mask or whatever but it was strangely useful! "Oh crud, Word is about to tank. Save, save, save!"

I don't have any of the Accessibility Options on, thanks though. I am pretty sure it happens when I accidentally hit Ctrl and something with it. I have tried Ctrl and other key combos to get out but nothing works except a reboot of the PC.

I appreciate all of the suggestions.

Ctrl + F8 can cause this problem.

Try hitting this key combo to see if it releases you.

Cheers,
Dave

"Yes, I'll stop finding bugs in the software - as soon as you stop writing bugs into the software." <-- Me

For all your testing needs: Forum1393

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back