Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with excel and filename that contain space on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valk

Technical User
Mar 19, 2001
GB
We have an user, running Win 95 and Office 2000, we noticed that everytime he tries to open a file where there is a space on the name, excel will try to open various files from the windows directory and then fail to open it. If I rename the file and eliminate the spaces works fine. Anyone seen this issue before?
Thanks

Yes, its a known 95 problem with long filename support.

You need to edit the open settings for Excel in View options. Unfortunately I don't have 9x any more - its something like <path>/excel.exe %1 and then you need to enable DDE.

Sorry I can't recall it exactly. Copy it from a PC that works.

Valk,

I'm still using xl97 at home. Here are the settings for the Open action under Win Explorer (View/Folder Options/File Types)

Application used to perform action:
&quot;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\excel.exe&quot; /e

Use DDE (checked)

DDE Message
[open(&quot;%1&quot;)]

Application
Excel

Topic
System

Hope this helps
M. Smith

We've had the same problem on some machines at work. Most of the time the DDE solution works, however if it doesn't it might be worth trying to unregister and re-register Excel - this has sorted it out every time for us.

To unregister Excel:
Close down Excel if it is open.
Go to Start > Run and type
excel.exe /unregserver

To re-register Excel:
Close down Excel if it is open.
Go to Start > Run and type
excel. exe /regserver

Hope this helps.

C. Le Cras

Sorry, I'm being silly - you don't even need the &quot;.exe&quot; bit, just typing

excel /unregserver

and

excel /regserver

will do the trick.

Sorry for the confusion!

C. Le Cras

Guys I appreciated your help, but that didnt work, with the help of my collegue we found the problem: the line

&quot;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\excel.exe&quot; /e

even thought was showing correctly under file type,
was incorrect on the registry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\excel.sheet.8\shell\open\command

Hope will be helpfull to someone else next time ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back