Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem With Downloaded Microsoft HP Scanjet Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourls

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
US
Hi:
Background: Had successful operation with HP Scanjet3300CSE using Windows ME. Upgraded system to Windows XP. Scanner no longer compatible. Waited several weeks for HP to release updated driver.
Installed updated driver. Could not keep scanner om stream from one boot-up to another. Noticed a Microsoft Windows XP Update HP Scanjet driver for my system and downloaded/installed it. New error(Error 2117) appeared when scanner launch attempt was made. Tried several methods to delete the MS HP Scanjet driver. No success.

Also, I believe that "usbscan.sys" is intertwined with both drivers.
"Usbscan.sys" seems to be the receptacle for the scanner driver.

By using the following procedure, I can make the scanner operate for one session only.( I must repeat it for each boot-up.)
1. Uninstall scanner driver in Device Manager.
2. Unplug USB cable for scanner to system before the boot-up for Step 1.
3. Plug in USB cable after boot-up is completed.(System automatically loads the MS HP Scanjet driver.)
4. Update scanner driver in Device Manager using the following procedure:
a.Right-click on Imaging Devices driver in Device Manager.
b.Select "Update driver."
c.Select "Install from a list. . ."
d.Select "Don't search. I will choose. . . "
e.Select "HP Scanjet 3300C"
f.Click on "Next."
DO NOT RE-BOOT!

That procedure will work every time I try it. But don't you think it's a rectal sensation each time I want to use the scanner?

Thanks,

Fourls

Have you tried to leave the scanner plugged in to the USB but just power it up and down when you are ready to use it?

I have a digital camera that is connected to USB and it is unrecognized until I cycle the power.

This is a "Plug and Pray" "feature" in windows... The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

Thanks, rjkrash.

Is there a difference in effect between unplugging the USB connector and cycling the power to the scanner? Incredibly, this HP Scanjet3300CSE does not have an On-Off switch. It uses an adapter to the house supply. I amusing a power strip with two or three other devices connected. I will need to splice in an in-line switch to provide an On-Off. I would prefer to repeat the process that I have described rather that unplug and re-plug the adapter: jungle-quality environment. . . .

Please check again on the procedure that you follow to get your camera going. Send that to me. I will try duplicating that for my scanner.

Here's my theory on a portion of the problem. For some reason the Microsoft driver is functioning like part of the operating system. If this driver were removed, I believe that HP driver would be retained by the system from session to session. That is it would occupy the location the Microsoft driver now occupies. You see. If I replace the Microsoft driver the system requires a Restart. But if I do a Restart, the system loads the Microsoft driver in place of the HP driver. You will note that in the procedure I described, no Restart occurred.

Please send me your procedure. I will try it. Meanwhile, if you know how to remove the MS driver. please pass that along,too.

Thanks,

Fourls

Hi,rjkrash:

Hey, your idea works!!!

I installed the scanner adapter on another power strip. It works like a charm. In fact, the darn thing does not want to quit mid-stream. Cancelling seems to be "frowned on" by the scanner software. And when I use the HPScanjet 3300CSE with Microsoft Picture It, it won't stop in mid-stream. I get a message: "Please finish or cancel." What it means is FINISH. . . .

Thanks a bunch!

Fourls

What really happens on my camera is that it is in a docking station that has a button on it to "upload" pictures from the camera in the dock. Now until I push that button my camera is "unknown" to XP. If I activate (push the button) the interface then the USB bus "sees" the device and XP loads the drivers it needs to talk to the camera. This is sort of like a PCMCIA card being plugged into a laptop. I was thinking that maybe if you had any button on the scanner that "activated" the device it would wake up the USB port. I agree with you that your way is better than putting in a power switch.

As to getting rid of the MS driver. Have you tried this...
Uninstall the driver
Unplug the scanner from the USB Port
reboot without the scanner connected
Go to the Add Hardware Wizard (on the hardware tab of System Properties)
Let XP search for device it will eventually ask "Is the hardware connected? Check Yes and Next
On the next dialog in the Installed Hardware list scroll all the way to the bottom and click "Add a new hardware device"
On the next dialog check "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)
click Next
Select "Imaging Devices" in the common hardware types list
Click Next
Select "Hewlett Packard" in the Manufactures list
It just shows cameras on my system doesn't matter
Click "Have Disk"
Browse to the location of the .Inf from HP and select
I think you know the rest of the install process( I can't duplicate here)

After the device is installed then reboot and then come back up still without the scanner pluged in. See if the device is in the device list.
Plug in the scanner to the USB.
Does XP "ding" and say the device is there?

This took longer to type than it will to try it. :)
Good Luck

The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

Have same problem as you describe. I even downloaded the new HP XP software and that didn't work any better.

Does anyone have a final solution?

I spent about 2 hours on the phone today with HP tech support. They were worthless. They concluded that it is USB communication problem and that I should get a new USB board.

no guarantees but try this, search for all files for the scanner and delete them all, then search the registry for all the entries and(first backup the key -by using export feature) and then delete all the entries this should remove all references in the system to the scanner. and you can then install the software you believe works as only
one on system p.s. hp should have walked you through deleting the entries in registry they know where they are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back