Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Domain Controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

citrixnl

Technical User
Jan 6, 2003
NL
I have one domain with two domain controllers. Both controllers have an DNS server. One server holds 4 of the FSMO roles and the other server holds the other role. I have the problem that if one of the server fails that everybody can't work anymore. Normally it would be so that the other takes over the roles and keeps the network running.

So i miss the failover functionality of more then one Domain Controller in a domain.

I checked everything but can't find anything strange.

Does anybody know something about this ?

Is Global Catalog reside on both controllers?
Mac Foxx

I've seen this exact same thing. Check your event logs and see if there are any Kerberos errors.

The solution for me was to demote one server, remove it from the domain and bring it back in again, then make it a DC again. Key to successfully resolving this is to determin which server your machines are able to successfully authenticate with.

In our case we found that we could not run DCPROMO cleanly. I ended up working with Microsoft Premier Support to resolve the issue and I captured all of the steps into a FAQ that you will find in the Win2K forum faq96-4733.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Global Catalog is on only one server. As far as i knew there can only be one Global Catalog server in the domain.

I already demoted one server from the domain and put it back in, but this didn't solve the problem. But of course it would be possible to demote the other and put it back in. But this is an Exchange server so not the easiest one to demote and promote.

Anything else ?

You can have more than one GC in your Domain, in fact it si recommended for redundancy. If a DC is not a GC, it has to query the GC.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back