Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem With Defrag 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EscapeArtist

Programmer
Mar 21, 2002
US
If anyone besides me have ever had the problem of defrag getting stuck and never going past, say 20 percent before
you waste time trying to contact microsoft where you want
learn a solution, check and see if you did a microsoft
backup on the hard disk. Copy or back that up to floppy
and remove it. That fixed my problem but not before I wasted many hours trying to figure out what the problem was.

Several ways to do this:

1- Ctrl+Alt+Delete and "End Task" to everything except Explorer, and turn off screensaver.

2- Start up computer in Safe Mode (Press F8 when starting up)

3- Goto msconfig and uncheck everything and then re-start (don't do this because you have to enable evrything again later.

Go with option 2. But make sure to turn off your screensaver. [deejay]
Nate
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"

You probably need to keep systray in addition to explorer if you're going to turn off everything nonessential.
Starting in safe mode does prevent most everything from activating without having to go back and turn programs on again in config, so that is easiest. But sometimes F8 doesn't work and you have to use the Control key after seeing 'Starting Windows 9x'. Which way to use for your windows flavor will be in Help under Starting in Safe Mode.
Just had a widespread defrag problem at work, caused by Norton Antivirus.
About turning off the screensaver: there's a good old program called Screensaver Handler 4.0 by Miclone. Turns off the screensaver when you're online or running any program you specify. Also rotates the screensaver and wallpaper.
Hope this helps.

Another useful tip regarding Defrag. The Win ME version is a lot faster than the Win 98 version (maybe the only good thing about ME?). Replace your 98 version if that's what you are using) with the ME version and see the difference. Oh yes; Use Safe mode too.

Stupid question:
Could defrag be run from DOS?
For example, if you created a 'clean boot floppy' (format A:/s) and included the defrag.exe file on the floppy, could it be run from this location?
(I'm afraid to try it......) My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Never a stupid question. Defrag is a Windows executable so it cannot be run from DOS. If the drive is compressed, then the various utilities for compressed drives can be run from DOS.

...unless of course you use the defrag included with Dos 6.22. In fact, if you've upgraded to Windows 95/98 from Dos/Win3.11 then the Dos defrag should still be in the command folder within Windows.
This is in fact the best way to defrag the drive successfully, especially if you manage to change the attributes of all files on the drive so that read only files can be included in the defrag.

__ Be sure to turn off every running back-ground programs ( i.e. especially those "Stealth" spy softwares .)

__ Heard of "VoptXP v7.02" ? This is an amazing defragger that can defrag 5Gig HD in 10 minutes flat ( Windows 98 SE takes 2 hours to defrag the same HD ! ).

Best wishes,

In my problem with defrag, I tried coming up in Safe
Mode, also tried Ctrl_Alt_delete, end tasked everything
except Explorer and SysTray. Also tried in addition to
that, on line deletion under AOL Internet Properties
temp files and clearing history. Off Line then went
into Ctrl Panel, and cleared history, also selected
and removed cookie files in cookie directory. (This
had worked before several times). But it got to where
it just did not work at all, no matter what I turned,
off, so thats why I say there either has to be a
problem with MicroSoft's Defrag Utility or with their
MicroSoft Backup.

For Win98:

CLEAN DEFRAG:
To defragment all your hard drives/partitions with no overhead (background programs running or TSRs/VXDs loaded), change to the \Tools\Mtsutil folder on your Win98 Setup cd-rom, and right-click on Defrag.inf. Select Install.

This will create a one-time entry (DEFRAG.EXE /ALL) under this Registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce

Defrag will start automatically next time you boot, before the login prompt, therefore before any other program loads.

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back