Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with DB2 and Domain Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeyis4dcats

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
We have software that is DB2 based that I need to install on a server. That server acts as a domain controller and is named "Webserver". DB2 only recognizes 8 characters for a device name. "Webserver" unfortunately is 9 characters. Is there a way to rename the Webserver to a recognizable name? Is there a workaround for the DB2 limits?

I did not do the original setup of the configuration, so I am not 100% familiar with the servers.

I would look for the hosts file, and make an entry for ' or something of the sort, pointing it at the right IP address. That's just an idea.

Compuveg-

You lost me....I can't even install the DB2 software as it won't recognize the 9 character device name.

Unfortunatley you cannot rename a domain controller.

I would contact the company where you got the software from. I'm sure they've come accross this problem before, so they might have a solution for this problem.

Glen A. Johnson
"Give the laziest man the hardest job and he'll find the easiest way to do it."

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Well, what I meant was that if you made the appropriate entry in either your hosts file, or your internal DNS server, you might be able to trick the DB2 machine into attaching to the 'www' hostname.

Currently your 'webserver' machine has an address of, for instance, 10.0.0.1. If you made an entry in the DB2 server's hosts file for 'www' to point to that address, you would then possibly be able to connect to \\ instead of \\webserver\c$.

It wouldn't be renaming the domain controller, it would just be telling DB2 to use a different name to get to the same address.

Glen's got a good point though, the vendor should have come across this before, and have a quick workaround. (Probably involving a hosts file addition)

Please keep us informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back