Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with creating own ethernet cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

udpstorm

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2003
US
I am experiencing some problems creating my own cables. I crimp both ends and connect PC to LinkSys cable router and I get a link light but no action. No DHCP nor will a static address work. I have tried various lengths of cable, different crimpers and crimp brands and no luck. I used a meter to confirm continuity through the cable. I can't seem to find out what the problem is.

I need to run lengths of 120 to 300 feet. My understanding is that I should be able to run up to 331 feet?

The Linksys connection would be straight-through, as I stated, and not a cross-over.

Crossover cable are genereally used for hub to hub connections. the send and receive pairs are crossed between CONNECTOR A and CONNECTOR B on eiher end of the cable.

568 A/ B Crossover Standard

Connector Connector
1 3
2 6
3 1
4 5
5 4
6 2
7 8
8 7

568 B Straight connections

Pin Cable Colors
1 White Orange
2 Orange
3 White Green
4 Blue
5 White Blue
6 Green
7 White Brown
8 Brown

You might want to get a cable tester. Small fortune in some standards but helps overtime in troubleshooting cabling problems. Even though the individual cables may look like they connected to the connector doesnt always mean they did. Always best to check. 568B in my opinion is the better of the two.

pc to pc - crossover look it up

pc - hub/switch just match the freaking ends to each other

other 568b is the defacto from what I read from the ISO

Cable Guides:

RO (Roll-Over): Use a ROLL-OVER cable to connect a Host (PC) to a CONSOLE port.

CO (Cross-over): use a CROSS-OVER cable to connect network devices of the same "Family".

ST (Straight-thru): Use a STRAIGHT-THRU cable to connect devices of different "Families".

What I mean by "Families" is this:

Layers 1 & 2 is one Network Device Family.
Layers 3 thru 7 is the other Network Device Family.

Layer 1 & 2 Devices include:
Bridges, Switches,Hubs, and repeaters.

Layer 3 ~ 7 Devices* include:
Hosts(PC's) & Routers. *(also intelligent switches)

Also,

CO + CO = ST RO + RO = ST
CO + ST = CO RO + ST = RO

Hope this helps.

Kudos to "M. Dennis Palmer CCNA,CCAI" for the materials and teaching skills to allow me to explain this to you.

"...understanding "The Why" is half the battle!" - Anonymous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back