Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with CR 8 within VB6 after (semi)upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

KVink

Programmer
Nov 2, 2000
NL
We used to have a VB6/CR7-combination. Because we needed some of the
features of CR8 and still use CR7 we installed CR8 next to CR7. Because of
the (other) problems we had with the PC it was completely re-installed, but
only with CR8 (have a clean start).
Now we can't get the reports loaded because of a class-id in the VBP which
can't be found. We found out that it belonged to CRAXDUI.DLL (a CR7-dll).
Do we have to re-install CR7 next to CR8? Is there a conversion-possibility?
Is there a CR8-dll which replaces the CRAXDUI.DLL? I tried to registrate
CRAXDUI.DLL but then I get an unexpected error (50057) trying to run the
VB-application. Any idea's?

CRAXDUI.DLL is both a 7 and 8 dll.

You installed both 7 and 8 runtime files or full Crystal?

And then completely reinstalled 8 full Crystal?

What is the difference between installing 8 and completely reinstallng 8, did you do an uninstall?

Do you have 2 copies of CRAXDUI.DLL?
Are you developing using CRAXDUI.DLL?
Which version are you using?

Seagate doesn't recommend having 2 versions of CR on the same PC. I personally have 5 versions on my PC with only minor annoyances, but I haven't tried to do development in multiple versions.

Ken Hamady

In answer to your question I'll add some more detail:

We used to develop the reports in our applications (VB6) with CR7. Because of the picture-features in CR8 we decided to work with CR8 as well. Because the application I'm building is the only one needing these CR8-features it was only installed on my PC (yet) next to CR7. So no uninstallation was performed. Everything worked fine, but the checked references were a little confusing. Some referred to the CR7-directory and some to the CR8-directory. I'm yet not so familiair with CR that I know which references and components should be checked to make the thing work.
Last week my PC was completely re-installed: drives formatted, installing Win95, etc. To get rid of the troubling mix of CR7- and CR8-elements it was decided to install only CR8. And that's where the trouble started.

I' ll add a file with the dsr, dsx and log. I checked the registry and found out that the class-id refers to craxdui.dll which didn't exist anymore after the re-installation of the complete PC. Maybe that's strange because you told that it's a file for both CR-versions. Appearantly I was using the CR7-version.
So far I tried different things. Copying the craxdui.dll from another PC and register it using regsvr32, changing the class-id to another one. We did not re-install CR7 sofar, because we would like to keep the CR8-situation as it is.

I sincerely hope you can help us out.

Kind regards,

Kees

Do you have the developer version of V8?
Are the components and references in place in the application?

Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal

Yes, as far as I know. How do I do know if it's complete?

Sorry, I should have said what Crystal components and references have you activated in your VB Project. Ken Hamady

I'm not sure which ones, because after the upgrade we tried about any CR-reference/component-combination there was. It all comes out to one tiny problem after de-installation of CR7: It cannot load the dsr-files because the class-id of CRAXDUI.DLL is missing. This file belonges to CR7. After installing CR7 again we can load the reports.

Again, CRAXDUI.DLL is both a 7 and 8 dll.
I have both versions on my PC.
My version 8 is in:
C:\Program Files\Seagate Software\Report Designer Component

They are not equivalent. I think the application is still looking for the V7 version and can't find it. Installing 8 developer won't necessarilly mean that an App compiled with the v7 file will automatically work with the V8 file. Ken Hamady

I guess the obvious difference is that V8 puts the file in a different location, which may not be found by VB. Ken Hamady

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back