Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with CR 8.5 using SQL Designer

Status
Not open for further replies.

crash4ever

Programmer
Aug 6, 2001
US
Hi,
I've used SQL Designer to build a SQL statement that used PL/SQL package. The package/function will return a concatenation of several number values with pipe delimiter.
I have set the return variable data type into a CHAR(150).
When I use this SQL statement as my source in Crystal report, it always treat it as a MEMO field not a CHAR/String field. That is why I'm having problem to use formulas on it.

Why did CR 8.5 do this even though I've set the returning variable as CHAR(150)? I've tried to used CAST option on the function calls within the select statement:

SELECT CAST(package.function(invar1, invar2) AS CHAR(150)) Claim_Count FROM TableA;

Somehow it did not like that statement. It always said about missing right paranthesis. So do we have other option here? All I want to do is manipulating the information on that field using formula.

Thanks,
Vicky

Any suggestion on this matter anybody?

If I use NUMBER data type in my PL/SQL package then Crystal Report will correctly recognize the data type as NUMBER.
But if use CHAR, VARCHAR or VARCHAR2 (even though I limit the size into 100 character), CR always treat it as a MEMO data type. Why?

Vicky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back