Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with contacts in Outlook 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

saida

Technical User
Jan 11, 2005
AL
Hi, I’m feeling a bit dumb (ok, Ok, it’s the first time;-)) We’re using outlook 2003 on Exchange 2003. I set up some users to use POP3 when they’re not in the office, configuring profiles. The problem is with contacts. I have copied the contacts of the GAL in their personal folders, but the user can send e-mail only when writing the address manually, not when selecting the e-mail address from the contact list. I checked the e-mail address on the contact list, they’re OK. Any idea?

Right click on the local contacts folder, Properties, Outlook Address book tab, 'Show this folder as...'

Hi smah,
This "Show this folder as.." is used to show contacts in the address book. My problem is not showing them, rather than the addresses in the address book pointing to something else, rather than the correct e-mail address. To save the contacts I opened the contact from the Global Address Book, than added it to the contact list.
Today I noticed that all the address point to something like "/o=domain/ou=first administrative group/cn=recipients/cn=username.
Is it Greek? :)

Have you tried just downloading the Global Address Book to be stored locally on the computer? You can do this by:

There are 2 steps to this. First you need to make sure that the Address Book is downloaded, then you can do a manual download of the Global Address Book. This creates an .oab file on the computer (Outlook Address Book).

First:
In Outlook, click Tools, Send/Receive, Send/Receive Settings, Define Send/Receive Groups. On the window which appears, click the Edit button and make sure there is a check mark next to Download Offline Address Book. OK out of those windows.

To manually download the Address Book, click Tools, Send/Receive, Download Address Book, then make the appropriate choices on the window which appears.

Once you have done that, see if people can now utilize the Address Book when offline.

Hope this helps....

dodomfcg
"If I don't meet your standards, the lower them!

Thank you dodomfcg, it worked! A star for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back