Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with connection settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brumjckey

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
I have been working on an HP with WinME. CompuServe was their ISP. Had trouble connecting, so I dumped temp files, history, etc, cleared cache, uninstalled adapter, scanned disk and defragged drive, etc. Would not connect at all. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling modem and drivers, uninstalled modem and installed known good modem and drivers, uninstalled communications from windows and reinstalled, tried to connect using dialup connection to another isp, deleted GLOBAL>ORG...etc. I finally got a log of modem activity, and one of the things it says is "Don't know to format". Anyone care to explain to me??? Thanks in advance for your assistance..........

Can you use hyperterminal? This program is independant of dial up networking. If you can connect okay, then the problem is with dial up networking.

Search for hypertrm.exe. Run it. If you don't have it, install through add/remove programs. Its in communications.

Dial 18882963892 (v90 compatible AT&T line), and 18005433279 (v34 compatible AT&T line).

Try both lines a few times, post back the results.

Each number is 10 cents a minute, so don't stay connected that long, you should get a user login when connected. You can then disconnect from the call menu.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

I tried hyperterminal (I am familiar with it),and it does not connect. I also tried to dial in to work, and it did not connect either. Then I called my cellphone through hyperterminal, and IT DOESN'T RING......Hmmmm.....

Then its a physical problem. Likely the line since you swapped the modem already, but it could be something weird with that mainboard. I've seen peripherals do really weird things in one computer, yet work fine in another. Perhaps try a different PCI slot, but I would look at the line first.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

I would think so too, except the computer now does not appear to have plug n play usb support. i used my flash drive earlier(two days ago) on same computer, and it worked, but now it is asking for a file...since the woman cannot locate her restore cd, i don't have anything to restore it with. I think MAYBE reinstalling win me MIGHT do it...but then again, you are probly right...the motherboard might be hinked...thank you so much for your prompt suggestions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back