Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Compiling using Microfocus COBOL under Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

SixtyHours

Programmer
Feb 24, 2004
US
I am attempting to install and run Microfocus Cobol (V3.2.20 - dates to 1994) under Windows 2000. This was originally installed about ten years ago on Windows 3.1. Over the past several years I have been able to easily migrate to Windows 95 and Windows 98. But now, I am unable to compile programs under 2000. Whenever I enter “COBOL” on the DOS command line, I get an un-numbered error message saying “Cobol Run Time Library Not Installed File Not Found” Is anyone else running an older version of Microfocus Cobol in Windows 2000? If so, what is in your AUTOEXEC.Bat as far as PATHs and SETs? Any other suggestions are also very welcome and appreciated. Thank you. Tom

Did you try to put FORCEDOS in front of the command?

SixtyHours,
Try setting your system date to sometime before 1/1/2000.

I had a weird problem with an old version, which turned out to be a Y2K thing. Applied a bunch of patches from MF, (they didn't solve the problem) then upgraded to 4.0.38, and everything has worked fine ever since.

As far as running an old version on a new OS, I have a Win XP Pro machine that has both Microfocus 4.0.38 and NetExpress 3.1 on it, and they both work fine...

Tranman

I suppose you managed that meanwhile (?)
This is a problem that always confuses me too.
After I set COBDIR, LIB, LBR, PATH to
\COBOL, \COBOL\LBR, \COBOL\LIB it normally works.

Does your Cobol have a copy protection dongle ?
When compiling with that on 2000 or XP it may print
about 100 empty pages to your LPT1 each compile.
You must install some printer which takes that
into a file or sends it to nirvana or such.

I set up a little batch program which I use to start WorkBench. I call it wrkbench.bat.

ECHO OFF
SET COBDIR=D:\COBOL\LBR;D:\MC-EXEC\;D:\MC-EXEC\SUPPORT;D:\COBOL\EXEDLL;
SET LIB=D:\COBOL\LIB
SET INCLUDE=D:\COBOL\SOURCE;D:\COBOL\INC
SET MFORG=D:\COBOL\MFORG
D:\COBOL\EXEDLL\WBWG.EXE
:END

I also go into properties of My Computer and set up my user variables. This is where I enter the old variables that used to be in my old Autoexec.bat.

I did not reinstall the old WorkBench; I just copied the Cobol directory to my programming drive and executed the batch program above.

Cathy
covcat@riverstonegrp.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back