Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with collecting data from the web - Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dataplayer

Programmer
Jan 11, 2003
US
I have an Access database on the web collecting user end data. When I need the data, I have to download the whole database (which creates a lot unnecessary traffics) and then copy some tables into my processing database. In order to keep the existing table structures (such links), I can only cut and past data from these tables into corresponding tables in the processing tables. It is a very tedious work.

Is there any way to write queries from my processing database to collect the data from the web database? I am kind of desperate. Thanks.

Frank

What I usually do is just link the tables from the "data" DB to a DB on my PC which I end up running queries, reports, updates on.

You can write VB code in a module which will open the data DB and create temp tables but not knowing what you are trying to accomplish I couldn't begin trying to help you with that.

If you can tell me your end result, what you are trying to accomplish I could try and help out.

i do a similar thing.
i have my main db with it's own tables, and then links to the tables in the web based db. every time i download the db i run queries etc to copy the new data from the linked tables into the live tables, clear out the data from the linked tables and upload the empty database. i had to do this cos the web database was getting huge and taking ages to ftp.

Thank you both, yimitz and jacq. Sorry that I cound not responded earlier due to a internet connection problem.

I have a DB1 in the web server and I needed to download from time to time. DB2 is the main database on my machine doing the processing, reports, etc. I have to leave the data in DB2 for users to modify or update info. I have a temp folder for DB1, each time the new download overwrites the old ones. The only problem is the links between DB2 with the old DB1 will be wiped out when the new DB1 overwrites the old ones.

From what I unstandstand about what you said, it seems no matter what, each time I have to download the whole DB1 and create a link from DB2 to DB1 to fetch the data. I know there must be someway to write a query or a module to get the data. Unfortunately, I am very new in VB. I like to further listen to your opinion as to what is the best way to achieve this. Thank you both again.

Frank

There is no need to download any thing. In DB2 on the tables object view right click the white space and a list of options comes up. Look for the link tables option and navigate to your DB1 when the files list comes up. Open your DB1 and link to the tables you need. Then you can create make table or other action queries based on these linked tables.

I DB1 is on the web server. I made a web folder to access it through ftp. I tried to link DB2 with this web folder, but the program does not allow me to do that. It gave an error message like "ftp://userxxxx@ftp.wx.mysite.com is not valid. Type in the file name and location in correct format, such C:\location\file" blah,blah. I know how to link from one DB to another DB on my local network, but have not been successful through the web. Could you give me a little more clues how you link to a remote datasource.

I assumed you have access to the webserver and the folder the DB1 is in. If this is the case you should be able to map a drive to the folder say something like this K:\\webservername\parentfolder\subfolder\db1.mdb

Can you do this?

I am new at this. Say my ftp site access is ftp://userxxxx@ftp.wx.registeredsite.com. After I click and got connected and I am at the main folder. When clicking on the database folder, it ftp address is ftp://ftp.wx.registeredsite.com/database How is the mapped drive will be like? I am new to all these things I am supposed to know. Thanks again for your time and expertise.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back