Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Cisco VPN on XP with SBC Yahoo DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

devendrap

Programmer
Aug 22, 2001
US
Hi,

I have Windows XP with SBC yahoo DSL. I tried to install VPN 5.2.3 on the system. I was able to connect to internet/intranet but some website like yahoo.com or hotmail.com has problem to access e-mail.

And when I uninstall VPN the websites work fine.

Please help.

thanks,

Sounds like you're accessing the internet through the central site (VPN) connection, which could be controlled & denying you access.

Check your VPN client to see what networks are allowed, if it says '0.0.0.0' then you'll be using the VPN connection for internet access, not breaking out locally.

The problem is happening when I install the software.

Even I am not starting VPN.

I have same set-up as you.
Windows XP Pro and Cisco VPN 5000 Client and SWBell DSL in
Dallas.
For some reason, just having the VPN client installed messes up the MTU on the PPPoE connection through your DSL.
The Windows XP default MTU is 1480.
However, if you do a
ping -t -f -l 1450 you'll see that packets are being dropped.
Drop the packet size down and I would bet that at 1276 you'll start seeing good transmission. Another guy on Usenet (deja.com) reported exactly the same thing I discovered. To send emails and fix bad web page loading issues, you'll need to lower Windows XP's MTU. Go to microsoft.com and search for Windows XP MTU for instructions on how to do this. I am using 1200 which really sucks from a performance standpoint, but at least it works. When I get a chance, I want to experiment with
getting that MTU back up by
1) disabling the VPN service that is running all the time, even when the client is not in use. I will manually start service if needed to use client.
2) trying RasPPPoE, another free broadband driver that supports MTU = 1492 under Windows XP.

now if only someone could help me get my D-LINK DI-614+ working with my wife's Nortel Extranet Contivity VPN. The Cisco IPsec tunnels fine through this device, but the Nortel client hates it...

mlewis

Is it possible to have two different user with different setting on MTU level on XP.

I believe I did tried that option also but it did not work for me.

Actully I have installed Windows 2000 on another partition It has little bit different story.
When i install VPN. I am not able to connect to dsl even.
I am getting error Adaper not found???.

Any idia

Moreover I have installed windows me on another partition which is not able to see any webpages at all.

Thanks,

I believe I did tried to put MTU 1300 using dr.tcpip utilitu but that option did not solve my problem.

Any way, Is it possible to have two different user with different software installtion on XP.
Idia is In one I can have VPN installed and In another will be only used for Internet.

Actully I have installed Windows 2000 on another partition It has little bit different story.
When i install VPN. I am not able to connect to dsl even.
I am getting error Adaper not found???.

Any idia

Moreover I have installed windows me on another partition which is not able to see any webpages at all.

Thanks,

Thank you very very much mal11.

After installing RsaPPPoe. DSL and VPN works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back