Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with btld for PERC3/SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

whizza

Programmer
Feb 4, 2002
GB

I am trying to install SCO Open Server 5.0.5 Rel 2.4
on a Dell PowerEdge 1500SC Server fitted with a
PERC3/SC controller.

I have obtained 2 PERC btld files from the Dell web site,
(percsco.exe and perc2sco.exe) and I have similar problem
with both files.

With percsco.exe
When SCO starts to list the detected hardware it states;
Warning No PERC adaptor found. PERC driver not loaded.
Warning hd: No root disk controller was found.

With perc2sco.exe
When SCO starts to list the detected hardware it states;
Warning hd: No root disk controller was found.

I have tried with the emulation set to I20 and MASS STORAGE

Has anybody had any experience of installing sco on a PERC3/SC raid controller?

Regards
Tony Hickinbottom

One thing that comes to mind (and yes, I have used Dell's perc controller numerous times).

Check that the array is presenting itself as ID 0 - generally it takes its id from the lowest drive in the array.

SCO expects that the drive (the array here) will be 0- you can override that with bootstrings but it's generally easier to let it have what it wants.

If it's not that, I'd talk to Dell- it may take a while to get to a Unix savvy person, but they do have them. Tony Lawrence
SCO Unix/Linux Resources tony@pcunix.com

I just set up a Dell 4400 with a Perc 3 Controller. I used the Dell setup Cd to configure the raid configuration first, it's a nice graphical tool. Of course that's all you can use this tool for, as there is no support for SCO. I then installed SCO as normal, of course loading the btld drivers etc. I'm using 5.0.6. It even automatically linked the Raid drivers during the install!

Pilot1

Yes, Pilot does bring up a point that people do miss: SCO can't configure the RAID- you absolutely do have to do that first.
Tony Lawrence
SCO Unix/Linux Resources tony@pcunix.com

My experience may not apply. I had serious problems (couldn't get a BTLD to load to save myself), ended up replacing 5.0.5 boot with 5.0.4 boot and resolved the problem. This was on an initio driver, which is something I settled on using, and had no problems with 3.2v4.2 and the OS 5.0.0 thru 5.0.4. I think I checked several other drivers and found that it was a solid failure for everything I had. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thank you all for your input

I belive that the PERC3/SC is setup correctly in a
RAID 5 configuration

My concern is that as neither of the btld files mention
the PERC3/SC in their documentation do they support this
card properly. (I have yet to receive confirmation from
Dell)

Pilot1, if you have used a PERC3/SC with SCO, which btld file did you use with it?

Regards
Tony Hickinbottom

This is the link to the download page for the AMI Perc file that I used: .Dell states on this page "This is the SCO Openserver AMI PERC driver that covers AMI cards in Dell systems. Yes, you are right that PERC3/SC is not mentioned. I have a PERC3/DC and I beleive that just differentiates between a single or dual Raid controller? When I originally talked to Dell support before choosing this configuration, the support person was pretty confident about this driver covering all of the AMI cards.

Pilot1

I have tried the driver contained in percsco.exe
The result was;
Warning No PERC adaptor found. PERC driver not loaded.

The download page mentions neither the PERC3/SC or the
PowerEdge 1500SC as being supported.

Does anyone have a url for 'ESG Custom Engineering'
the creators of this driver.

Regards
Tony Hickinbottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back