Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with booting.... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg4dsx

Technical User
Oct 4, 2002
US
Hello to all. I have been having a lot of trouble with a system that I have been working on. Its a Asus A7V133-C, AMD Duron 1.2, 256mb ram.. I was able to get it to boot and started installing WinXP, but with about 20mins to go, the system blacked out. I rebooted and the setup continued. The same thing happened, but now the system won't boot. I have power to the mb, the processor fan spins for a sec and stops. There is no power to anything else. I took everything off the mb except the video card and tried to boot it, no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Remove the video card as well, same issue?

Anyhow, let it sit there for an hour or so. Will it boot then? If so, it's overheating.

Removed the video card...same thing. The pc has been sitting for a few hours and nothing new. It responds the same with and without the processor in: The fan spins for a sec and then nothing. I have taken the mb out of the case and tried booting it that way to make sure that there is not a short, but again, same result. Possible bad powersupply, mb, or processor?

You ruled out processor as a possibility when you took it out and you had the same issue. From what you say you have nothing connected to the mlb except for the power. Your looking at either mlb or ps. Got a spare ps sitting around?

Carl M. Gregory
MC_8 @ #eggdrop && #tcl @ Undernet

Don't have a spare mb around, but I can get a power supply. I will try that and get back with you. Thanks.

Ok, got the other ps in and....same thing. I guess that I will have to assume that the motherboard has gone. This is the second mb from Asus, and neither have had more than a 1 day lifespan. Thanks for the help...unless anyone has any other ideas.

Power supply test only -- plug the power supply into nothing except for the AC. Turn it on... the fan within the PS stop's? Carl M. Gregory

Sorry for the confusion. The processor fan spins for a revolution or 2 then stops. The cd-rom and hd never receive and power.

Maybe the motherboard is grounding out to the case. I was in another forum and they take the motherboard out of the case, set it on cardboard and test it with a video card in it to see if it will boot up outside of the case by taking a small screwdriver and connecting the pins that go to the power button. It is possible that it is a bad motherboard or that the processor got hot and ruined the motherboard too. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Tiz one of the reasons I want to remove power from everything ... isolate the power suppy, turn on and see if ps fan is moving.

The PS fan will turn regardless of being plugged into anything (even mlb).
Carl M. Gregory

I had a similar problem once. I think it was a problem with the on/off switch connection to the m/b - you might check that.

By the way, ATX power supplies will not run if you just plug them into a/c like CarlMGregory suggested. They need to be plugged into the m/b to complete the circuit to turn them on.

Hello,
The key to solving this issue is to use known good working parts. ensure their are no extra standoffs under the mother board. Put a fan across the motherboard to rule out heating issues. If that does not work... i am the manager of Better Technology Here LLC. We offer free hardware diagnostics. You pay the shipping. 603-431-4700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back